Chapter 98

Don and Meryl's second honeymoon with the babies was absolute bliss; both Don and Meryl had never felt more relaxed or in love with each other and their family. They also enjoyed updates and pictures from their kids from back home. They spent their days either at the pool or on the beach; and their nights playing with the babies and cuddled in each other's arms. After the last year they had come through it was exactly what they needed. Neither of them were looking forward to the vacation bubble bursting once their plane landed in Manhattan.

***

Don woke up and just couldn't go back to sleep; and he knew why, he was down. He was not ready for them to go back to New York later that afternoon. Not only did he not want the amazing time he spent with his wife and their youngest children to end, he also didn't want to face the demons he tried to ignore. Demons he didn't want his wife to know he was fighting; not because he thought she wouldn't support him, he knew she would support and encourage him no matter what through whatever was hurled at them. It was because he didn't want the weight of his demons to weigh her down; not when she was so happy and full of life. This vacation, the second honeymoon, did just what he wanted it to for his wife-it relaxed her and gave him an opportunity every single day to dote on her and the babies. He didn't want his demons to wreck that. And so he decided to get out of bed so he could be alone with his thoughts. He kissed his wife's head as he carefully got out of bed, kissed their babies and went to be alone. He hoped he cold get a handle on his feelings before they touched his wife.

***
Meryl turned over to cuddle up to her husband and frowned when she was just met with his cold pillow and cold sheets; she looked at the clock and it was still incredibly early. She was disappointed he wasn't still in bed with her. It was their last morning in paradise and she wanted to laze in bed with him until their babies woke up. She decided to get up and look for him. She decided not to change out of her pajama pants and tank top hoping she could coax him back to bed. She went over to check on the babies, glad that they were still asleep and turned on the baby monitor, grabbing her phone to go find her husband. She finally found him sitting on the large outdoor sectional on the patio that overlooked the ocean. She didn't like what she saw. His shoulders were slumped, he didn't seem to hear her open the door and he kept looking down at his wedding ring while he was twirling it. All of this was a sure sign to Meryl that her husband was troubled; and she didn't know why. Things had been absolutely perfect; she wondered if he was trying to protect her by not sharing whatever he was going through. She decided right then to find out what was going on. The thought that her husband was troubled, and she didn't know, was too much for Meryl to take; especially when she felt like they were closer than ever. She went over and kissed the top of his head. "Room on that sofa for one more?"

"Always room for my girl." Don tried to smile at his wife as he opened his arm to her when she came to sit down next to him. "What are you doing awake so early?"

Meryl couldn't resist kissing her husband's lips. "I went to cuddle up to you because I missed your strong body and you were gone."

"Oh, is that why?" Don teased. "Not because your feet were cold?"

The tone in his voice told Meryl that something was indeed wrong. "I missed my husband. What are you doing up so early on our last day of our honeymoon?"

"I just couldn't sleep and didn't want to wake you up, Darl." Don said quietly as he kissed the top of her head. "Thought I would enjoy the sunrise."

Meryl took his head in her hands and made him look at her. "Sweetheart, is something bothering you?"

"What?" Don should have known she could read him like a book. "I'm fucking perfect; and why wouldn't I be? I just married the love of my life, again, and we have this amazing family. The kids are happy and healthy. Our careers are amazing. We have two new babies. Of course nothing is bothering me."