Chapter 69

Larry took a deep breath as he nodded and walked more fully into his best friend's hospital room. "It's why I'm here; I wanted to tell you in person. We've located Mann and Rebecca."

"I sure as hell hope you have them in custody." Meryl said as she and Don held onto each other. "I'm actually more concerned about her at the moment than fucking Mann."

Don shook his head vehemently. "They are both miserable excuses for human beings. So, they were arrested?"

"Not exactly." Larry breathed.

Meryl exploded before Larry could say anymore. "She fucking drugged and kidnapped my husband and our 3 month old babies. She tortured, attacked and sexually assaulted my husband-her fucking marks are all over his body. She forced my babies to nurse and therefore they have cocaine in their systems. If that's not reason for her to be fucking arrested then I don't fucking know what is."

"She fucking broke out, Larry!" Don exclaimed. "Not to mention Mann."

Larry held up his hands. "We didn't arrest them because they're dead."

"What?" Don asked looking at Meryl and he could tell she was as shocked as he was. "Are you sure? This isn't some game they're fucking playing?"

Meryl wasn't believing it. "I don't believe it; I need proof."

"I have proof; I wanted to bring proof to you which is why I wasn't responding to your texts. Now, let me get this all out." Larry said as both Don and Meryl nodded. "Once the firefighters stopped the fire they found Mann and Rebecca in there. Somehow, their bodies weren't charred; which made it easier for identification and forensics purposes. The coroner's report shows that they both suffered cardiac arrest due to the smoke. Don, I think you knocking them out helped because they were already unconscious and couldn't fight or get out of the fire."

That immediately worried Meryl. "Larry, there's no way they think Don..."

"Baby." Don sighed as he kissed her head; knowing exactly what she was thinking. "It was self-defense."

Larry nodded. "It was absolutely self-defense; and it wasn't Don's fault. They died from the smoke inhalation. That is what the report says; and that is what happened. I asked forensics to make sure it was really them; and it is. They are both gone. They have done enough damage for many lifetimes; but they can't cause anymore."

"I want to see them." Don said plainly. "I won't be able to rest until I know for sure. You can show me all the forensic reports you want; but until I see their cold and dead bodies myself I won't believe it."

Meryl completely agreed with her husband. "I feel just like Don is feeling. We don't trust them, of course; we need to see it."

"Are you sure?" Larry asked getting in his briefcase. "I did ask for pictures; but it's gruesome. I had a feeling you two would feel that way and knew you couldn't go to the morgue."

Don and Meryl looked at each other and they both nodded. Don cupped her face in his hands. "Even if it's not them; I will find them, baby. They will pay."

"If it's not them then WE will find them." Meryl smiled weakly at her husband; and then turned to his best friend. "We're ready, Larry. We want to see the proof."

Don and Meryl both cried silent tears of relief when it was in fact their captors and terrorists with toe tags and in the morgue. They were dead. Don took Meryl into his arms as she cried tears of relief. "I want the report, Larry; I want it for my records that their reign of terror is really over. You touched them? You know for sure they are dead?"

"I watched as 4 separate doctors pronounced them dead." Larry said assuredly. "I wasn't taking any chances. They really are dead."

Don could feel the relief pour from his wife. "Thank you so much. Is there anything else we need to do at the moment?"