Chapter 87

Don couldn't wipe his smile off his face; not that he wanted to, and neither could Meryl. They both felt as if they floated to the heated tents where everyone went after the wedding for the reception. The babies were floating from family member to family member which allowed Don and Meryl time to visit with their family while making sure they were adequately wrapped up and warm even though Don make sure the tent were heated before he rented them. After Don felt like he had talked to everyone, at some point during the day, he noticed someone important was missing from the tent-his wife. He saw her coat on the back of the chair of where she would sit once they eventually got to sit down. He saw the babies were fine, as well as the other kids. He noticed everyone was there except his wife. He popped his head outside of the tent and saw her standing at the cliff with her arms wrapped around each other. He went over to Henry. "Hey bud, I'm going to go check on your mom. She's at the cliff. Can you keep a watch out for Bradley and Margaret? They're okay right now but I have a feeling that might not last."

"Sure, of course." Henry nodded. "Is everything okay with Mom?"

Don nodded. "Her being out there is what we do when we're waiting for the other; we'll be back."

"She just goes out there and waits for you?" Henry asked as Don nodded. "And she just expects you to come out there?"

Don held up Meryl's coat with a smile. "She knows me; and I know her."

"Wow." Henry shook his head. "I have a lot to learn about women."

Don threw his head back and laughed. "I have been with your mother for almost 35 years and I'm still learning."

"Then I'll learn from you." Henry smiled softly at Don. "I'll watch out for my little brother and sister."

For some reason it always made Don smiled when the older kids called Brady and Mags their little brother and sister, which of course they were; he figured it was because he was so happy how much the older Gummer kids loved the babies even with their age difference. He and Meryl talked over and over how wonderful it was to see them all together. "Thanks, son; we'll be back."

"Don't forget." Henry called after his father. "First dance."

Don winked at his son. "Why do you think I'm going after your mother?"

***

Don shivered as he walked out to the cliff, thinking his wife must be freezing. Once he reached her he put her coat over her shoulders and wrapped his arms tightly around her from behind. "You're going to freeze out here."

"It's about time you came out to warm me up." Meryl flirted as she turned her head to gently kiss his lips while reaching up to place her palm on his cheek. "Hey, Don Man. You doing alright?"

Don shook his head; his wife, always so worried about him. "I just married the love of my life again, I'm perfect other than I missed you. What are you doing out here?"

"Waiting for you." Meryl sighed happily as she leaned back into his arms and closed her eyes at the feeling of her husband holding her close. "I just wanted some time with you in our place. It was absolutely perfect, Don Man; more perfect than I could ever imagine."

Don tenderly kissed her cheek as he pulled her closer. "You ain't seen nothing yet, baby; and this evening hasn't even started."

"I am so happy, Don." Meryl whispered as she turned around in his arms and wrapped her arms around his neck while he wrapped his coat around her tighter. "Are you happy, baby?"

Don cupped her face in his hands and placed a hard and needy kiss on her lips, continuing the kiss for as log as he could, util they both eventually needed to break apart for air. "I have never been happier, Mrs. Gummer. You are my life along with our children."