Chapter 60

Tom smiled at his wife and new daughter asleep in his arms as they were still in the den at the Gummers' house. He felt so relieved to have his wife back in his arms; something he thought he would never have again. He was still trying to wrap his mind around everything that his wife told him; he believed her 100% but his heart hurt that she had gone through all that. His heart hurt that she had their daughter without him. His heart hurt that because he thought he needed to date again that Rebecca targeted and used him to get to their dear friends and now they were going through hell. He knew he couldn't focus on that; he had his family to put together and that's just what he was going to do. He was brought out of his thoughts when he heard Charlotte and Charlie yelling for him from upstairs. He carefully laid Rosaleen and Diane on the couch, covering them up; and went to his children. He knew he needed to explain to them about their mother before they saw her and got one hell of a shock.

****

"Hey, guys." Tom said running into the media room. "I'm here."

Charlie looked around. "Where is Uncle Don?"

"And Aunt Meryl?" Charlotte asked. "She said we could play with the babies when they woke up; and that we could make dessert."

Tom had no idea where to start. "They had to go somewhere and will be gone for several days; but we will get to see them soon."

"What happened?" Charlotte asked concerned.

Tom knew that he would already be dropping one bombshell on his children; and didn't want to drop too many. "A bad person hurt them; and they are in the hospital. They are all going to be okay, I promise."

"And the babies?" Charlotte asked; always the one concerned about everyone else. "Who is with the babies while Uncle Don and Aunt Meryl are sick?"

Tom tucked his daughter's hair behind her ear. "Liz and Larry are with them; they will all be just fine. There is something very important I need to talk to the both of you about. It will be very hard to understand and take in; but you both are big kids now and I know you will handle it well. I want you to ask me any questions you might have; and I will try my best to answer them."

"You're being weird, Dad." Charlie said. "More so than usual."

Tom couldn't help but laugh at his 12 year old son. "I know I am. Two years ago, before we went to Canada, your mother was kidnapped by Rebecca and a woman who was your mother's identical twin sister."

"That awful woman you dated?" Charlotte couldn't believe it.

Tom nodded as he sat on the coffee table in front of his kids. "I had NO idea until today. Now, the woman who was your mother's identical twin, which means she looked just like your mother, pretended to be her; and none of us knew. She was the one who died in Canada, NOT your mother."

"WHOA." Charlie shook his head. "Mommy is alive?"

Charlotte shook her head. "There is no way."

"I know it is all so confusing; but she is." Tom said. "Rebecca was holding her hostage; and Rebecca came here and drugged Uncle Don and took the babies away. Your mother was able to trick her and escape; and she came here to be with us and to help Aunt Meryl. She and Aunt Meryl saved Uncle Don and the babies; then your mom came to tell me everything."

Charlie rubbed his head. "The things that happen when we take naps."

"Shut up." Charlotte nudged her brother.

Normally Tom wouldn't let that behavior go; but he knew their worlds had just been turned upside down...again. "I asked your mother things that only she would know; and it's your mother, believe me."