Chapter 42

It was New Year's Eve and the Gummers had just returned to New York City from helping Don's father through his stroke in Indianapolis. Both Brad and Jane encouraged Don and Meryl to go back home with the babies. They said their goodbyes to the other kids at the airfield; and went straight to their apartment. It was nice to be home. Once the babies were settled and they were all unpacked Meryl told found her husband in the office. "Hey, handsome."

"Hey, beautiful." Don looked up at her over his computer. "I'm just paying a few bills and then I thought I would start on laundry."

Meryl smiled at him still standing in the doorway of the office. "Thank you, sweetheart. I thought I would go to the market and get some things before the streets get crazy with people celebrating."

"Babe, you don't need to do that." Don said as he continued working on their bills. "We can have the market deliver."

Meryl shook her head at him. "The delivery service is always slow on New Year's Eve. It's not a big deal. I'll drive myself; and won't try to take a cab or anything. I just nursed and the babies are down for their afternoon naps. I turned the monitor on."

"Okay." Don said as he got his phone out and started the monitor app on his phone so he could listen for the babies. "Please be careful; and call if you need anything."

Meryl winked at him. "I will. I'll see you soon, Don Man."

"Be careful." Don yelled to her as she walked out the door.

***

Meryl was juggling bags as she got off the elevator and she froze when she saw their apartment door was standing wide open. She knew she closed and locked the door when she left. She dropped the grocery bags when she walked in and saw Brady and Mags' baby blankets they always kept with them on the floor in the entry way along with their pacifiers. She could feel something wasn't right. "DON MAN? SWEETHEART?" Her heart sunk when he didn't answer. She looked around and saw that the babies' stroller was gone. She immediately took out her cell phone and brought up the contact of 'Don Man' calling him, cursing when it went straight to voicemail. Don never had it off; especially not when he was so worried about her being out on New Year's Eve. She started shaking more. Something wasn't right. She continued to look around and found a note that said 'BITCH.' She started to shake even more as tears silently made their way down her face. This couldn't be happening. Her silent tears turned into all out sobs when she found Don's wedding ring in the envelope. She knew he would never take it off willingly. He never took it off when he was showering or fixing things around the house or painting or sculpting; just as she never took hers off. She didn't know if she wanted to read the letter; but she had to so she knew where her family was, what was happening to them. She just prayed her worst thoughts weren't coming true.

Foolish Bitch,

I told you that your precious Donny and your perfect babies were in danger. I told Tom I would come for Don and the babies. You were cocky enough to believe that he belonged to you. That they were yours. You had me arrested and thought I wasn't a threat. This is how much power I truly have. This is how much he belongs to me. You took him for granted. You don't love him. You use him. All of America can see it when he goes to your events and you don't pay any attention to him. You don't touch him. You don't look at him. He deserves so much better than you. His babies deserve so much better than you and I am going to make sure they get it. I finally got what belongs to me and you will never find them. You should have listened to my warnings but here you thought nothing would happen because you're you; well, something did happen because you're you. This is good-bye. You will NEVER see the 3 of them again.