Chapter 50

After Don and Meryl had a nice visit with Mike and Maggie, after Mike arranged for guards for the Gummers while they were in Indianapolis; the babies enjoyed some playful time with their adoptive grandparents they were named after. Don and Meryl then went back to the house. Meryl asked Don to go into the den and play with the babies while she made dinner. Don of course wanted to help her; but she said she would be fine and wanted to surprise him. Once she had everything ready, except for what was baking, she went to help Don bathe the babies. She then nursed and asked if he could put them to bed. Don then knew his wife was up to something; they always put the babies down for the night together. Little did he know that she had a night of romance planned. While he was putting the babies to bed, Meryl quickly changed downstairs and set the den how she wanted it before bringing the food in. Everything was perfect. She just hoped everything went how she wanted.

***

Don was putting the babies to sleep while gently talking to them. "Now, your mama is up to something. What? I really don't know. It does involve lasagna; she can try to keep things a surprise from me but my nose doesn't lie. While it's just us, I want you two to know that Daddy is going to make sure the both of you, Mommy, Henry, Suzie, Lily, Mamie, Grace and Louisa are all safe. I promise you. I know things have been kind of crazy since you were born, and you probably have no idea where we actually call home; but as long as you are with me and Mommy then you're home and you're safe. We both love you so, so, so much. I'm not sure if you two will ever realize what you have given to me as a father and a husband, and I know your mama feels the same; I love you two, sleep well. I'm sure we'll see you in a few hours." Don was about to turn on the monitor up in the bedroom when he got a text from 'My Girl' making Don smile instantly. Hey, my Don Man. I hope the babies are sleeping well. When you're ready bring them downstairs and place them in the bassinets in the bedroom down here, there's a monitor in there we can use. Then meet me in the den when you're hungry. We're going to try to do this romantic 66th birthday thing, again. I love you. Don't be too long." As soon as Don finished ready he carefully swept the babies up in his arms. "I know Daddy said we would see you in a few hours; but if you wanted to sleep much longer than that then I don't think Mommy or Daddy would object. We love you."

***

Don's breath left him when he saw his wife in the den lighting candles; there were candles lit everywhere. He noticed that she set a table of food up for them; and she even started a fire in the fireplace and soft music was playing. He didn't focus on that for long because his wife was taking his breath away. She stood there in the dress that she was wearing the other night along with the boots that drove him crazy, her hair was up in a sexy bun that showed off her long and slender neck he loved to run his lips and tongue all over. It wasn't just what she was wearing that stopped him dead in his tracks, it was the fact that it was her; the love his life. She was the only person he had ever bared himself to heart and soul. She was the only one who excited him, who made him laugh, who made him happy, like no one else. She was the only one who challenged him like she did. She was the only one who he was ever supposed to be with. She wasn't just his best friend, partner and lover; she was a part of him, and she always would be. He couldn't help but think about his friends who said their wives didn't care about them anymore, who didn't want to be touched, who didn't want to spend an evening alone with them; and his friends also would rather go out to bars and go on trips without their wives. Not Don. He loved that they had been able to spend almost the whole past year together; before she got pregnant their work always took them in different directions, and a night like this would happen maybe once a month. He loved that they were inseparable again; and that was how they both wanted it. Don knew that he would be lost, he would be a shell, he would be nothing without her presence in his life; without her love and light. He was so overcome with his love for and appreciation of her that he didn't notice she had turned around. "There's my guy."