Chapter 80

Meryl was giggling as she sat on the family room floor playing with her now awake babies and granddaughter and Rosie along with Maeve, Diane and Liz; all while her daughters and Suzie were in the kitchen putting the food together for their girls evening in. Meryl smirked at Diane. "Okay, Di, it's just us older women now; and these babies don't know what the hell we're saying. Tell us why you were late."

"Only if you want to." Liz laughed at Meryl being Meryl; but she was so glad that things were back to how they were with the women before Diane "died."

Meryl nodded. "Of course, but I know you; and I could see it on your face earlier. You want to tell."

"Rosie, sweetie." Diane bent down to kiss Rosie's head. "Why don't you go over to where Mags and Brady's books are and look at them? Mama will be right here."

Maeve smirked as Rosie did as she was told; and then she turned her attention back to Diane. "You do want to tell."

"I do." Diane giggled. "Well, not tell everything; it's just I never thought..."

Meryl tried to keep things light. "As good as ever?"

"So much better." Diane smirked. "But tonight wasn't the first time."

Liz refilled hers, Diane's and Maeve's wine glasses. "It wasn't?"

"I'm not getting any younger, Di." Meryl laughed as she drank from her bottle of water. "Spill."

Diane smirked as she looked to make sure that Rosie was still occupied, which she was. "Well, our first time since I've been back was our first night home a few night's ago. I really didn't think it would happen so soon. I mean don't get me wrong, I WANTED it to happen; but Tom has been so worried that if he looked at or touched me wrong then I might break."

"I've been on both sides of that." Meryl empathized with her friend; thinking about how she wanted it to be up to Don the morning before when they made love for the first time since his assault. "Navigating that first time after a trauma is tricky; but so important for both the parties involved."

Diane nodded as she laughed. "It didn't take much for me to convince him. After we put all the kids to bed that first night, we drank some wine and danced and well..."

"I think that's wonderful." Liz beamed. "After so long."

Maeve nodded in agreement. "You look amazing and seem so relaxed and happy."

"Being reunited with your soulmate and your children does that for you." Diane winked at the ladies and noticed the blue on her best friend's cheeks. "And seeing my baby girl with our family where she belongs."

Meryl lifted Brady up to her once he was getting a little fussy while Maeve was tending to Mags and Liz to Lily. "Yes, it does; but Di, WHY were you late?"

"Let's just say I forgot how watching my husband get ready for a night out affects me." Diane giggled like a school girl. "Rosie was down playing with Charlie and Charlotte, so we made good use of the time alone. Sorry M, but you and being on time were the last things on my mind."

Meryl let out a loud laugh. "As it should have been; although some people have no control."

"You didn't just say that." Maeve's eyes were huge. "Really?"

Meryl wasn't following. "What?"

"You of all people Mrs. I had twins in my 60's." Liz burst out laughing. "The girls told us that they walked in on you and Don on the sofa when they walked in earlier this evening; now we really know why he didn't want to leave."

Diane couldn't resist getting in on the teasing herself. "What about when we came over this morning? It took an AWFUL long time for Don to get you from in here, and when I asked you said it wasn't for your lack of trying."