Chapter Twenty-Nine

SHIN-HA'S POV

We're currently on the outskirts of Kuuto. We arrived only a few hours ago, intent on finding Akira.

"Shin-ha." I turn at the sound of my name. "See if you can find her," Yona pleads, and I nod. I go to pull off my mask, but I hesitate when I see the Green Dragon determinedly staring at my face. Noticing this, Yun grabs him by the ear and yanks him around to face away from me. "If you insist on being detrimental in our attempts to find her, I will starve you to death."

Glancing away from Jae-ha's apologetic murmurs, I take off my mask and gaze into the city. My vision sweeps through the various stores and buildings, and I accidentally come across a few where there were couples doing something very strange in their beds. I'll ask Green Dragon about it later.

I suddenly pause at a familiar glint within the Hiryuu Palace. Akira's spear leans against the wall in an empty room. I point to the palace rooftops. "Her spear...in there...the southwest corner.."

WHOOSH

I barely look at the spot where the Green Dragon had jumped from.

Oh wait. I never got to ask him about those couples...

JAE-HA'S POV

The second Shin-ha mentioned Akira's spear, I leapt into the air, desperation clawing at me. I jump onto the buildings and travel along from there, before reaching the palace gates. I glance around before leaping over the walls into a courtyard. From there, I can see into the room Shin-ha pointed out.

Damn, I never got to see his eyes.

I stealthily make my way over to the window and slip into the room. Besides Akira's spear, there are no traces of the young woman, not even the familiar scent of cinnamon.

I hold the weapon in my hands, and look over it, but I can find no clues.

Shit.

Where the hell did she go? What happened to her?

Suddenly, the door opens behind me. "Akira, are you-"

I whip around, sending two daggers at the voice. The man standing there dodges, but by the time he looks back, I'm already out the window, with the spear in my hand.

KAI'S POV

"This is it."

We all speak simultaneously, staring at the dark, run-down building surrounded by trees. The silver light glares for one moment longer, before blinking out.

"What the- why did the light go out?" Soron questions, concern showing in his voice. Makoto's eyes widen. "You don't think..."

I cut him off. "I doubt it. Perhaps since we found her, she no longer felt the need to point out where she is." I hope, at least.

I grip the handle of my short sword as I size up the building. "It's not the largest place, but if this girl is as powerful as you say, there are a hell of a lot of strong guards in there," Makoto remarks. "It would probably be best to go in stealthy," Soron agrees. I frown slightly. There goes my plan of wreaking havoc on the jerks who kidnapped my childhood crush.

Some people can be so inconvenient.

Soron steps up. "I'll see what info I can get. You two stay here." Without another word, he heads off towards the building to spy.

Makoto and I sit in silence for a few moments, before he speaks up hesitantly. "How strong is she? Akira, I mean." I sigh, scratching my cheek. "Stronger than the average full grown man. Not as strong as me, but she's more agile, which makes her more powerful." Makoto nods. "Did you two ever get into any fights?"