Chapter 19 - Confessions Of A Shopaholic

NORMAN

The next morning Ollie insisted that her ankle was almost one hundred percent again. And that she's more than capable of doing a jaunt outside the Ryokan.

But I made her wait until the pharmacy opened. And I bought one of those compression-type socks for her.

I was tugging it gently over her foot when Minnie entered the dining room.

"You have good night last night, Mr Norman? Miss Livi....your foot much repair today. You get rest?"  She enquired, putting the steaming dishes down on the table before us.

"A wonderfully restful night thank you, Minnie. Did you enjoy the time with your grandchildren?"

How the hell Ollie can keep a straight face is beyond me. Especially with my hand creeping its way up the inside of her thigh whenever Minnie's back is turned.

"Yes, yes....I spend tomorrow sitting them as well. Ushii will be here for looking over you. And new guest coming too. So you two must behaving like big childs!"

She gave us both a stern smile before departing.

"Jeez....I feel like I'm living with my mother again"  I moan lightly before we fall on our food.

Ravenous from all our exertions over the last twenty-four hours.

"Would you mind if we visit Ikebukuro, Ollie? There's a couple of big camera stores I'd like to check out. But there are heaps of cafes we can sit in and watch the world go by as well. Is that Ok?"  I ask as we stand outside the Ryokan.

"Fine by me, lead on"  She replied with a smile.

*

I ordered a cab to rest her foot and make sure it really heals. We were halfway to our destination when my phone went off. Hideo's name flashed up.

"Norman, my friend. How are you doing today?"  I can almost visualise him smiling down the phone.

"Living my best life, pal. How's it going in your world?"

"Wish I could say the same. I really hate to ask this of you, but as our little Kaida did a Titanic with her phone....would you mind passing on a message?"  He begged apologetically.

"Can do you one better....hang on"  I pass the phone over to Ollie while mouthing 'Hideo'.

"Yes, my lord and master?"

She let out a long-suffering yet fake as anything sigh as I suppressed my laughter. After a minute though, I notice her smile is fading.

"I'll call you back in five, Hid. Bye."

What on earth's happened?

"He's having problems with one of the programs. Wants me to come in for a couple of hours tomorrow to sort it out."

Now I know why she's down. I'm not too happy either, at having our little bit of precious time we have left together taken up by work.

But things like this will come up in the future....for the both of us. No time like the present to start dealing with them.

"No way around it, baby. You go, get it over with quick and then come home. We'll use the rest of the day to begin making our own plans. While you're gone, I'll start looking at my calendar for the next month. Do some prep work?"

Kissing her on the head, I press Hid's contact on my phone and hold it out.

"I love you, Doofus"  She mouthed to me.