Chapter 28 - I'm Meltinggggg

NORMAN

Tokyo + one year – Melbourne, Australia

"Good Morning, Ladies and Gentlemen. This is Captain Ross speaking."

I lift my head off the pillow and peer around groggily. The cabin lights come on and window shades are raised.

"We've commenced our descent into Tullamarine Airport. The local time is ten-fifteen AM and we should be pulling up airside at approximately ten-fifty-five AM. Please note that you've crossed the International Date Line and today is Tuesday the Tenth of March."

"The temperature outside is thirty-nine degrees Celsius or one hundred and two degrees Fahrenheit and there's a high chance of a thunderstorm later this afternoon. On behalf of myself and the team, I'd like to thank you for flying Qantas."

"Welcome to Melbourne, Australia. Cabin crew....please prepare for landing."

Actually, I got a fair bit of sleep. In Business class again this time and had most of the cabin to myself which is a bonus. No one to hear me snoring. Which I seem to do a fair bit now thanks to the pins in my damn nose.

Grabbed my pack from the luggage carousel, cleared customs and did all the paperwork for the bike I hired. An awesome Triumph Bonneville.

"Jeezus H Christ!"

All the air whooshed out of my lungs, soon as I walked outside the terminal with the rental agent. I've done scorching summers in L.A and New York before, but this is way beyond a fucking joke.

Feels like I've walked from a fridge into a preheated oven.

Almost renege on the bike, consider switching to an aircon car instead. But navigating in an unknown city is easier on two wheels than in a car. Plus I do love my bikes, huh?

The agent handed me the keys, helmet and parking token. Before long....I'm ready to ride. I secure my pack and then sit on the seat for a moment.

In forty minutes or so, I'm gonna see Ollie. And up until now, I haven't even given a single thought as to what I'll say.

When I ignored her for those three days back in Tokyo?

Her reaction hadn't been the worst....but it wasn't the best either. How the hell is she gonna take seeing me, after a whole year of thinking I just up and left her.

Then I rock up, larger than life again.

Can't just say 'Honey, I'm home'  and expect to pick up where we left off, huh!

I've got my letter and Minnie's one tucked away in my pack, a little bit of self-defence. Only how can I justify the fact that I never took the initiative to contact her before now? And I have no excuse other than being fucking mulish....wanting her to call me first.

I'm not scared of her anger. I hate myself for what I did and I'm pretty sure that ain't a patch on how she feels about me.

No. I'm more terrified she won't even speak to me at all....and just slam her door in my face.

You got your boots on, Doofus. Simply stick one over the threshold, soon as Ollie opens her door up. Then just ride it through.

Doofus? Shit!

Hadn't thought of that  name in a while. Hope I can get her to say it to me soon....and not have a knife in her hand when she does.

So....Doofus. Just do what you've always done. Tell it like it is....and pray to God that eventually she'll listen to you.