Chapter 12 - It's Just A Number

NORMAN

When I hear the first soft knock at the door? I stand there quietly in the semi-dark.

Like a fucking coward!

It can only be Ollie, as Minnie will already be long asleep. Another small knock is followed by her whispered voice.

"Norman?"

I almost groan out loud in frustration. What I wouldn't give to hear her whisper that in my ear while holding her in my arms. Or with her naked body under mine.

Closing my eyes I run a hand over my face. Not caring about the slight throb the action sets off in my eye socket.

Hearing her voice again after so long is pure agony. Hearing it sound so full of sorrow is....

I only move again once I hear the faint scrape of her own door sliding to a close. Kicking off my clothes I throw myself down onto the futon. Lace my hands behind my head, while staring up at the ceiling.

For hours. Trying not to think.

Over the last two days, I've filled every waking hour until I was beyond exhaustion. Visiting friends, wandering around, getting drunk, wandering around....

....getting drunker....

But now, for the first time since Friday afternoon? I stop blocking Ollie from my mind. Finally let her fill up my head again. As she has done, just about every single second since I came face to face with her that first night.

Ten days ago.

And it's just over a week ago now that I first kissed her. If I could go back in time, knowing what I know now....would I have still done that?

I don't need to waste even a millisecond coming up with the answer to that  question.

"Of course you would've....you fucking idiot!"

I reach out and pick up the photo I took of her. Stare at it in the dim light coming from outside my room.

So what else do you know, Reedus?

Well, she's got one hell of a brain. Has a never-ending thirst to just learn. Everything....anything. Kinda like me? Asking questions and trying different things until the knowledge simply becomes a part of you.

Never boring, despite her beliefs to the contrary. I could talk to her....and listen to her forever.

She's funny as all hell. It's been so long since I've simply....laughed. Most days we've behaved like a couple of lunatics. Teasing each other, giggling like kids over our crappy jokes....smiling at the smallest things.

Real smiles, never fake or forced.

She's beautiful and it's not just my opinion, even though she keeps insisting it is. And I remember a line from an old eighties romance comedy....

'A head for business and a body built for sin'.

Except,  I reckon Ollie also has 'a head full of sin and a body built for getting down to business'.

I don't call her my Koakuma for no reason at all. My Koakuma....mine!  It only took a week and yet that's how I think of her.

As mine. And dammit, she should've and would've been!

If only....she wasn't nineteen.

I mean, most of the time she looks like a kid and sometimes blushes like a naïve schoolgirl. But I got it into my head somehow, that she was closer to my age. Because Ollie behaves more maturely than your average teenager for the most part.