Chapter 30 - Norman's Blind Squirrel

NORMAN

Three men walked into a bar....

No, it's not the opening line to a really bad joke.

Greg held the door open and Scott went inside. I stood on the sidewalk for a few more seconds, admiring the corrugated signage that was installed yesterday.

Just one of the final finishing touches to our new business venture. That's having its grand opening next Monday.

Nic & Norman's....Senoia.

"Hurry up, Sunshine. You're letting all the cool air out here!"

Greg's voice breaks through my thoughts and I stride over the threshold.

Three and a half years ago, I hit the jackpot with probably the best gig of my life. An ongoing role in a TV production....The Walking Dead.

It's the story of life after a viral-style apocalypse. Only people don't really die....they turn into mindless flesh-eating 'zombies'  instead. Or Walkers as we call them.

Luckily, I'm still one of the living. Part of a rag-tag group of folk just trying to survive in any way they can. And when I say 'jackpot'?  I should've really said....total fucking fluke.

My character didn't even exist when I went in for the audition. But the producers liked my reading so much that they created 'Daryl Dixon'  redneck brother of 'Merle'. The part I'd originally tried out for.

That went to my mate, Michael.

In a couple of weeks, we'll start filming the fourth season. The Dead's popularity has gone through the roof....topping viewer ratings every week. Even has its own 'after'  panel show now.

But I came down from New York early. Settled into my home here again in order to help Greg with the final stages of our restaurant.

Both of us came up with the idea last year during a late-night boozy game of poker. We'd sobered up by the next morning, but the seed had already germinated.

So we went for it.

"God, guys. I love it. It's almost like a saloon but a lot classier and cosier. Loving the bar and all the wood."

Scott is looking around in awe and I give a huge grin of satisfaction to Greg. We love it too, like a couple of proud papas.

Scott writes and produces the series. Whereas Greg started in special effects and still manages that. But he moved up to exec producer when Scott started last year.

We're good mates, but then it's like that with all the cast and crew. And being part of it? Well....it's like a dream come true and I'm savouring every single second.

And thanking my lucky stars.

"How's it going Josh?"  I slap our new restaurant manager on the back in greeting.

"Gidday, Norm. We've caught up on the to-do list....about halfway through it now. Even with the holiday? It'll all be good by Friday. One of the kitchen brigades is out back right now doing some practice runs. Wait staff are coming in on the weekend for their training."

"Mate, it's a green light still for Monday's opening!"

His grin is as big as mine and Greg's.

Getting Josh on board is a huge bonus for us. Neither of us plan on being absentee landlords. But we need a full-time manager who'll look after everything when we can't pitch in.