eight

"So you and Terrence?" I ask Mo at her locker.

"I don't know." She sighs. "Funny because I was trying to get at his friend." She smiles.

"Just be careful, you know? I don't want you getting hurt."

"I don't expect him to change for me. I'll find someone eventually." She shrugs.

"You have me." I smile.

"The best wife I could ever ask for."

"No, you!"

"No, you!"

"No, you!"

"No-"

"No, you." Terrence mocks us as he walks by. We both glare at him. "Girls really do that?"

"We were joking, if you must know."

"Hm. Hey." He says when he sees me.

"You remember my friend." Mo puts her arm around me.

"Yeah, of course. Couldn't forget the First Noel." He laughs at his own joke and that's when I notice Harry standing beside him. He's partly hidden because of where he's standing. I roll my eyes at Terrence.

"Whatever."

"If there was a song with Monica in it, then I'd sing it."

"Whatever. Go to class." She tells him. I watch as Terrence walks off and Harry walks into the classroom for math, which is right by the lockers.

"El-Mo's World!" I sing to her and she slaps my arm. I laugh and she holds back hers.

"Go to class, you big fuck."

"Okay Mom." I walk into the classroom and feel lucky to have my best friend back. After I got into her car, we went to McDonald's and discussed it over food. She eventually forgave me, but warned that she'd eat my first born child if I ever did something to break her trust. I told her that I would hand the child over gladly the moment I broke her trust. Therefore, we're back to our marriage better than ever.

I look at the board and it reads:

Sit anywhere you'd like, we're watching a movie today! :)

I look at the teacher's desk, confused. That's why: we have a sub.

I head to my normal seat anyway; I have no friends to sit by.

"Harry." I hear Tasha say. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. If I hear his name come out of her mouth one more time-

"Harry." I snap my eyes open at her. I find a Harry looking down at her with a bored expression.

"Stop following me." He says, and walks to the back of the room.

"Harry. I wanna talk. I can't stop thinking about you."

"You said you'd leave me alone if I slept with you, and I did, so...leave me alone." He stops at a desk in the back against the wall but doesn't sit down.

"But...I was wrong because I miss you. I need you."

"Didn't you date Terrence?"

"For a while. But that doesn't matter! We-"

"I don't do leftovers." He says simply and walks further toward the middle of the room. I look away before he notices. "Hey. Sister's best friend." He says, stopping his walk to look at me.

"Nope." I say, refusing to look at him.

"So best friend's okay with it?"

"I told you already-"

"Yeah, whatever. I don't buy it."

"Well, I don't care."

"Cool. Glad for you." He sits down to my left and pulls out his phone.

Twenty minutes into class, Harry leans over and whispers, "What's this movie?"

"Coco. You've never heard of Coco!?"

"If I've heard of it, I wouldn't be asking you."

"Whatever. It's a Disney movie."

"Oh." He shrugs and gives a look that says 'I don't like Disney.'

"Do you not like Disney?" I ask, then regret it. Maybe I shouldn't be asking him questions. We're not friends.

"Do I look 12 to you?"

"You don't have to be 12 to like Disney."

"You like Disney." He half-asks, half-states.

"You know what-"

"What."

"-yes I do."

"Of course you do."

"What's that mean?"

"You seem like the type of girl to like Disney movies."

"How?" I squint my eyes at him. He just laughs. I scoff and lean back in my chair.

"Am I bothering you?"

"Yes." I say, without looking at him.

"Cool." He nods before running a hand through his hair and pulling out his phone.

Dick.

••

I reach Mo at her locker after school just as she's closing it.

"How was math?"

"Fine. We had a sub so we watched a movie." I decide to leave out the Harry part.

"I don't actually care, I just ask for Harry."

"I know." I laugh. "He sat by me, but he was a bit of a jerk, so...doesn't count."

"Like, voluntarily sat by you?"

"Yeah, we got to sit wherever today, and he sat by me, but I don't know why because then he just decided to mess with me and be a total dick. He made fun of Disney movies."

"He did not."

"He did."

"I'm already planning his funeral."

"Right?" I laugh and we head to her car.

"I was talking with Terrence and he said they're throwing a party at Harry's. Terrence is throwing it, but his parents are super tidy with the house, so Harry said we can do it at his place."

"When did he tell you this?"

"I have seventh period with Terrence." She shrugs and I open the passenger door of her car.

"So?"

"I'm going. You should come, too. I won't ditch you this time, I promise." She gives me an embarrassed smile and I smile back.

"Uh, Harry's?" I shut one eye, not wanting to say yes.

"I don't wanna force you, but I'm forcing you. We don't go to a lot of parties, so now I want a redo."

"You're too persuasive!" I complain, throwing my head back.

"You can't say no to your wife. Or I'll end this marriage." She threatens.

"Fine, I'll go. For the kids." I purse my lips at her.

"For the kids."