thirty seven

The night I stayed at Harry's has somehow brought us closer. Even just in our friendship. I feel like we're closer friends than we've ever been. He doesn't snap at me as often anymore, and most of the time I can see him really trying to not get pissed off at everything. Occasionally, he will, and sometimes he'll say something rude to me when he's irritated, but he always recovers. It's something new for us, but I'm worried to get too used to it because it's almost too perfect.

We've gone through Halloween hating each other, Christmas in a really weird way of being friends, New Year's making out, his birthday hating each other, and a very awkward Valentine's Day. We're friends for life.

As for the awkward Valentine's Day, that's a story for another time.

"Noelle." Harry sings as he takes a step to walk beside me down the hall.

"Harry."

"Where are you going? The cafeteria is that way."

"Mo's locker." Harry just nods and continues walking with me.

"Hey." I smile when I reach Mo.

"Hey." She turns her head to Harry. "Hey, Harry." He gives her a quick nod. "Are you two...?"

"We're friends." I say quickly with a laugh. "Let's go." We start walking to the cafeteria and I wonder why Harry's still walking with us. He usually sits with Terrence still.

The walk there is a bit awkward with Mo next to me and Harry on the other side of me, neither of them saying a word.

Friends. Right.

We enter the loud cafeteria and we find our way to our table.

"See you later." Harry says briefly. "By the way, friends?" He tilts his head with narrowed eyes before walking off. I can't tell if he was being pissy and sarcastic, or just mocking me as a joke. I sit down anyway and try not to show it on my face.

"So you and Harry are really friends?" Mo asks.

"Yeah." I shrug.

"And you're not attracted to him. At all."

"Mm-mm." I shake my head.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" Her eyebrows furrow at me.

"I don't know, he's a good friend."

And I'm a good liar.

"You're insane."

"Maybe so."

••

"Hey." I approach Harry after school.

"Hey." He says plainly.

"Sorry about earlier, you know, for calling you a friend and stuff, like, I just kinda panicked and I wasn't sure if you'd be mad about it or if you were just joking, but I just wanted to-"

"Noelle. You're overthinking it." He gives me an amused smile.

"Right." I smile shyly. He laughs and shakes his head.

"Though, you know, you did get pissy at me when I said we're just friends."

"Hey! Not true! That was because you said we're not really friends. Totally different."

"Whatever." He rolls his eyes.

"Hey, question." I speak up.

"Yeah?"

"When's the wedding?" I ask in a quieter voice, in case Harry doesn't want other people hearing it.

"Oh. June."