thirty five

"Hey love, where's the best friend?" Harry slides into the seat next to me at lunch. Mo is sick at home today, so I'm stuck sitting at lunch alone.

"Sick." I shrug. "You don't have to sit with me." I laugh.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"You usually sit with Terrence."

"I have other friends."

"Aw, I'm your friend?"

"Don't be annoying." He rolls his eyes and I laugh.

"I deal with you being annoying, so deal with it."

"I'm not annoying."

"You're pretty annoying, pal."

"Pal. Whatever."

"My word." I mumble.

"Harry!" Terrence calls. Harry just waves slightly. "Why are you sitting over there?" He asks, stopping at our table.

"Because."

"So you two fucking?" Terrence sits down.

"No." Harry mumbles and looks away.

"So what are you two?"

"Nothing."

"You're friends?"

"Sorta, not really." Terrence laughs and nods. I look away awkwardly. "I'll meet you over there in a minute."

"Okay." When Terrence leaves, I roll my eyes.

"Sorta, not really." I repeat his words, standing up.

"You know what I mean."

"I don't, Harry. If you're embarrassed to be seen with me in public, then don't waste my time." I find myself walking out of the cafeteria, anywhere away from Harry. I shouldn't care so much, but it's embarrassing. We somehow find a way to escalate things every time we talk, and it makes me feel dramatic. I hate it.

I don't speak to Harry the rest of the school day, partly because he doesn't try to speak to me either.

"Hey." Harry walks up next to me as I walk past the lockers. "Silent treatment? Alright." He nods and shrugs. "That's okay. I understand." He continues. "You can ignore me." He keeps talking. "That's alright-"

"Shut up." I roll my eyes.

"Woah, she speaks."

"You're so fucking irritating."

"Ouch."

"Why are you talking to me? Don't wanna get caught actually hanging out with a girl you don't fuck." I say with my eyes kept straight forward.

"You're being dramatic."

"Of course I am."

"I don't know what you want me to say."

"I get it, your reputation means more to you than anything else."

"That's not true."

"Isn't it."

"Look, Noelle, I don't even know what to answer when people ask if we're friends if I'm completely honest with you."

"Why wouldn't you know what to say. You made it seem like we were friends just two days ago."

"So we're friends that make out. Got it."

"We don't make out."

"Don't we, love?"