thirty three

"I can't believe you dragged me to another party." I say emotionless as we pull onto Harry's street. I've been so nervous about this so-called birthday party, but somehow, I know I came because the of little piece of me that wanted to see Harry.

As for Sammy, we've been texting every day and hanging out in between classes at school. I've done my best to not lead him on, but who knows how well it's working. I've never been in this kind of situation before.

I grip the handle of my bag on my shoulder with my hand as we walk in, Harry's shirt in it. I've had his shirt since I was last at his house, and I like to say that I've just been forgetting to give it to him, but I truly just wanted to avoid approaching him. A great plus, too, is that it's a very comfy shirt.

"Hey." Mo says casually to Terrence.

"Hey ladies! First Noel." He points to me. He seriously has to greet me like that every time he sees me. Every time.

"Let's get you some drinks?" Terrence raises his eyebrows and brings us to the kitchen. Harry surprisingly isn't in here this time.

"What's good?" I ask Mo.

"What?" She gives me a confused look.

"Like...drinks. What would you recommend?"

"You're gonna drink?" She asks with wide eyes and I shrug.

"Maybe I'll try one."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah." I laugh.

"Okay, um..." She gets herself a drink, then hands me one. I bring the cup to my lips and hesitantly take a sip. It tastes kind of sweet, but still has the burn in my throat, which I'm not a huge fan of. However, it does taste much, much better than the wine I once tasted from Mom.

"Not bad." I nod at Mo.

"Cool." She nods in approval at me finally drinking with her. I try not to drink it too fast as we start to make our way around the house and towards the backyard, but the more nervous I get, the more thirsty I become, and before I know it, my cup is half empty.

I spot Harry across the yard and start gulping down more of the drink.

Not too fast, Noelle. Slow down.

I hold the now almost-empty cup in both hands as we walk toward a group of people, Harry included.

"Hey, people." Mo says loudly but causally. "And happy birthday!" She says to Harry. He nods slightly with a small smile before he glances toward me and shifts his weight to his other foot.

"Hey, pretty thing." I hear a voice from behind. I turn my head to see Sammy.

"Hey." I smile and take another sip of my drink. I feel weird being around Sammy in front of Harry, and I shouldn't.

"Oh how I've missed you!" He swings his arm loosely around my shoulders. I laugh a little and put my hair behind my ear, starting to feel sick.

"It's only been a day."

"I know, but that's how much I like seeing you." He rests his head on my own. I look over to Harry who's looking back, but he doesn't look away like expected. I'm the one who looks away. I laugh a little and scratch the back of my neck. I try to come up with a reason to get his arm off of me.

"Uh, I'll be right back." I say to him as I step forward and out of his hold.

"Where are you going?" I glance at Harry who's still looking at me. I look back to Sammy.

"Bathroom." I nod and make my way inside the house. A small part of me hopes for Harry to not be far behind.

Fish, fish, got my wish.

"Hey." I say quietly as we stand in the short hallway by the backyard door. "Happy Birthday...again."

"Thanks."

"Oh, um." I start while trying my best to ignore the pounding in my chest. I open up my bag. "I still have your shirt." I furrow my eyebrows and laugh a little. He stops me from grabbing the shirt by placing his open palm on my forearm.

"Stop that." He says simply. He puts his hands in his pockets. "You've been drinking."

"Oh, um...yeah. A little." I shrug.

"Why?"

"I just...was in the mood, I guess. I wanted to try one." I shrug.

"You don't like alcohol." He furrows his eyebrows.

"It's, uh, it's okay. It's not that bad." I shrug again. Harry sighs and looks past me.

"So you're with that guy?" He nods and asks.

"Um, no." I shake my head.

"But you guys are obviously a thing." He shrugs.

"Not really. He's my friend."

"So you're leading him on."

"I'm not-"

"He's clearly interested."

"How would you know?" I snap. Wow, I get agitated easily.

"I can tell by the way he looks at you, Noelle." He sighs and rolls his eyes.

"It's probably nothing." I shrug, knowing damn well that it's a lie.

"I know how someone acts when they're into a person."

"Like you'd know." I mumble while picking at my nails.

"Why wouldn't I?" He crosses his arms over his chest. "You think I've never been into someone. Am I that heartless to you."

"I just know the type of guy you are. I'm not saying you're heartless." He stares at me for a minute before shaking his head and answering.

"You're a clueless one." He looks away.

"What?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"I obviously don't like labels." He starts, avoiding too much eye contact. "That doesn't mean I never find someone that I become...interested in."

"Okay?" I say, still not understanding where this is going. But maybe I'm just really slow.

"Like I said: clueless."

"Huh?" I squint my eyes.

"Am I that discreet?" He gives himself a look of approval.

"You're not being direct." I cross my arms over my chest to match him. "Just say whatever you have to say." He leans against the wall. He rests his head back against as well and laughs nervously. He tried to cover it up with a more genuine laugh, but fails miserably.

"I don't have a regular hook-up." He says with slightly narrowed eyes.

"Can you not be so vague?"

"I don't just go around and make out with people. More than once." I raise an eyebrow. "I do one-night stands." I furrow my eyebrows. "Jesus, Noelle! I'm saying you're the only girl, in a while, that I've messed around with more than once!" He blurts out.

"So..."

"You're slow." He sighs and puts his face in his hand briefly.

"Gee thanks."

"I don't just stick around you for fun." He says in a more serious tone. I don't how to respond, so I just stand in silence. He reaches over and grabs my hand, placing it on his chest. Here's when I come to find how fast his heart is beating. I'm sure I have a blank stare at his chest right now, and that's why he speaks up.

"Exactly." I look up at him and he has an uncertain look on his face. So I grab his hand and put it at the top of my chest, being very careful to not make him touch my boob. He looks down at his hand and his face becomes softer.

"Happy Birthday." I shrug.