thirty

"I can't show my face after the last time she saw me." I confess to Harry, who just picked me up from my house. I lied to my parents and said I was going out with Mo, like usual.

"Why? Because she saw you without a shirt?"

"That and...other stuff." I play with my fingers in my lap.

"What, like me on top of you?" Harry makes a turn at the intersection and smirks. I look out the window and continue to bounce my leg.

"Would you stop with the leg!?" Harry pushes my leg down by pressing his hand to my thigh and keeping it there. "Why are you so nervous about it? My mum loves you."

"Because she-"

"She doesn't care. You probably made her dreams come true."

"What?"

"You're like her ideal daughter-in-law." I let out a small smile. "Not that...I'm not saying that we–nevermind. You know what I mean."

"Yes, I know, Harry." I roll my eyes. "Friends." I finish.

"With benefits." He sings and parks the car.

"You pig." I look away and smile.

"You must like pigs then." He mumbles and unbuckles his seatbelt. We walk up to the doorstep. "Hey, but according to my family, we are just friends."

"Got it." I nod. I shouldn't be okay with that, but I'm comfortable with the spot me and Harry are in at the moment. I know I'll get bored and want more, but for now, I can deal with it.

"Noelle!" Anne greets me with a hug.

"Hi." I laugh and hug her back.

"Very great to see you. And hey, I wanted to talk to you about the last time we...the last time I saw you." She puts a hand on my back and lowers her voice. "I hope I didn't offend you. Of course, if I knew it was you, I wouldn't have just called you some girl. I adore you."

"Oh, yeah, no, it's okay. I'm sorry you had to see that." I say shyly. "But as far as you know, I could just be some girl, so...not your fault."

"Okay, good." She gives me a wide smile and walks into the kitchen. "Dinner will be another half hour! Sorry, I'm running late." Anne peeks out from the kitchen doorway.

"Harry! Come and help me and your sister out here!" Robin yells from the backyard door. Harry sighs.

"Hopefully this won't be long. But it could be." Harry warns me. "You can hang out in my room." He walks away.

I can hang out in his room?

I smile and walk up to his room.

The first thing I notice is his guitar case half-poking out from under the bed. It's just asking to be opened.

I last five minutes.

Five minutes.

I am the worst friend.

I open the case and pick up a page. It's the same one from before, but it has more lyrics to it.

sweet creature
had another talk about where it's going wrong

That's all that's written on this page, so I pick up another one. This one is from just a few days ago as well. It has no title. I read through the few sets of lyrics, a few blank lines in between.

I don't want your sympathy but you don't know what you do to me
Oh, ______
Everytime I see your face there's only so much I can take
Oh, ______