forty seven

"Hey, you never came outside to talk to me." Sammy walks up next to me as I'm walking to Mo's locker.

"Oh, yeah...Sorry about that."

"Are you and Harry, like...dating?"

Good question.

"No."

"Okay, cool. It's just been a while since we've talked. Are you, like avoiding me or...?" He slows to a stop, as do I.

"No, uh...no." I shake my head and furrow my eyebrows. "Sorry, I just had a lot, going on."

"I totally understand." I nod and as I'm about to tell him something else, something catches my eye. I can feel my face freeze and my heart stop cold at the sight of Harry, hand resting on the locker behind the girl he's much too close to. I don't recognize her, but she's biting her lip and he's looking her up and down like she's a fucking goddess. I watch as he nods and smirks at the girl. She then wraps her hands around the back of his neck and gets on her tip-toes to whisper something in his ear.

And I knew it. It was all too good to be true.

Naturally, my eyes start to water just slightly, so I turn my attention back to Sammy.

"I'm sorry, I need to go actually-"

"You have a thing for him." Sammy clarifies, obviously aware of what I was just staring at. "You don't need to deny it. But you deserve better anyway. And by better, I don't mean me. Just better." I just look at him with sad eyes. "You're a good person. And if you need a friend, you can come to me." He offers me a friendly smile.

"Thanks." I nod and look around, trying to force out a sad smile. "I kinda knew it was too good to be true. Like. He actually made me believe he wasn't fooling around with people, but anyway- you don't care about that. Thank you."

"Hey, I do care. It's not easy."

"No, it's not." My voice cracks and I swallow the lump in my throat, not allowing myself to cry.

"Here, walk with me." Sammy pulls me in the opposite direction.

"Girls are hot. I think I could just date a girl instead. So far, guys haven't given me very good luck."

"Hey, and if you do, I'll support it. You'll be my gay icon." I laugh slightly.

"Nah, that's disrespectful, I shouldn't say that. You can't just become gay."

"That's also true."

"It's just. My best friend's brother literally confessed his love for me and basically forced himself on me, and now he's doing drugs because of it. Like what is that!?"

"Woah. You lead an interesting life, miss Noelle."

"Since September, yes. Funny thing is, my life was never like this before. I was the one to always like, read these stories and watch these movies and be all like 'Aw my life is so boring, my life is so uneventful, why can't this happen to me!?' You know? And like, now..."

"It is happening to you."

"But not the good, romantic type books. This is like a fucking nightmare, horror, mystery book. I don't even know." I give up when I notice how I'm not making sense.

"Let it all out." Sammy laughs and rubs my back.

"Harry is such a dick." I narrow my eyes and shake my head. "Like he literally...I was just with him last week. Wednesday, I was at his house and he-" I cut myself off before finishing what he did. "Anyway.....he's a jerk."

"Yeah, fuck him." Sammy gives an exaggerated nod. "No!" His eyes go wide. "Don't fuck him! But like...screw him, wait no. Um." I laugh loudly.

"I think I know what you mean!" I laugh harder.

"Yeah, that." Sammy joins in with the laughing. "Where do you usually sit at lunch?"

"My best friend. Mo."

"Let's take you there, then."

"You can sit with us if you want." I offer a friendly smile.

"Sounds wonderful." I almost ask what he originally wanted to talk about, but I feel too weird right now. Maybe later.

"Hey, where were you?" Mo asks when I reach her.

"Sorry, I got caught talking with Sammy."

"Oh, hi." Mo smiles at Sammy as he sits down across from us. Sammy gives me a look. "Is there something I'm being left out of? I'm feeling left out of something." Mo narrows her eyes.

"Tell her." Sammy tells me.

"Harry's a bitch."

"Sis, we been knew." Mo says nonchalantly, squeezing ketchup on her burger. "But what he do?"

"I already talked to you about everything, right?" I put my head on the table face-first.

"Yep."

"He was with another girl."

"When!?"

"Like ten minutes ago." My head remains on the table.

"I swear I will fucking- Hey, Harry, what are you doing here?" My head snaps up to Harry standing on the other side of the table.

"What's wrong?" He furrows his eyebrows at me. I run a hand through my hair and sigh. I can't deal with this right now.

"Nothing, Harry." I put my head back down on the table. I hear him sit beside me.

"Really. What's up?" He whispers. I sigh and put my head in my hand instead. "Is that dude bothering you?"

"No, Harry, you are! Go!" My bubble pops as I continue to avoid eye contact.

"What'd I do?"

"Can we talk about this later?" Harry doesn't protest and gets up with a heavy sigh and a hand running through his hair.

"Okay so-" Mo and Sammy both start talking once Harry leaves.

"I have so much to say about this bitch."

"No one messes with my best friend."

"He can fuck himself in the ass. Seems like he's already so far up it."