fifty one

The last day of school is so close. Graduation is so close.

June 6th, one week and one day - graduation.

June 5th, one week - the last day of my junior year.

June 1st, three days - the wedding.

Only one of which I will be attending.

I obviously wouldn't miss my last day of school.

...

I find myself walking to the locker of someone I haven't spoken to since March. Someone I won't see much at all after graduation. Someone who actually deserves my apology.

"Sammy."

He turns his head and looks at me. He doesn't look mad nor bothered to see me as I expected. He looks curious. Curious to why I'm here talking to him, considering our last encounter was an argument over Harry. A joke, Sammy called it. I guess in a way, he was right. Harry and I technically were never together. He did only call us friends.

I decide he's not going to say anything, so I start.

"I know we haven't talked in a while-"

"Two months." He corrects with a chuckle. I smile and nod.

"Two months. But you're graduating next week. And it'd be pretty shitty of me not to apologize."

"I was a bit of a dick about it. No need."

"Come on, Sammy, I was being a brat. You were just looking out for me. So thanks." He sighs and shuts his locker. He swings his arm around my shoulders and practically drags me with him.

"So we're basically best friends again, and I th-"

"You're hilarious. Get off her dick, sis." Mo pushes him away and replaces his arm with her own.

"She can have two BFFs."

"The fact that you just said BFF proves you're not worthy. Next." Sammy just laughs and rolls his eyes. "I can't believe we're almost seniors."

"I know." I shake my head slowly. I spot Harry and he glances over for a second, but his eyes go right past me. Like he doesn't even know me. I sigh and keep walking with my best friend.

*Best Friends

"You two are definitely coming to see your BFF graduate?" Sammy raises his eyebrows.

"I don't know-" I start.

"You guys suck." Sammy sighs, and I pout.

"Well I guess we couldn't miss our BFF getting his diploma." Sammy smiles at me, and I return one.

"You're going too, right Mo?" Sammy asks with a small smile, and we both look at her with hopeful eyes, waiting for her answer.

"Let's go watch a sister graduate."

...

I stare up at my ceiling with a burning feeling in the pit of my stomach, mad at all the stories I've read, all the movies I've watched. They lie. They all lie. Something was supposed to happen. Something was supposed to work out. There was supposed to be a way for me to make it to that wedding. But it is currently Saturday, June 1st, and Harry's parents are getting married at this moment. And I'm missing all of it. I mean, isn't that what happens in all these made-up love stories? Something always finds a way to work itself out? Maybe that's why they're called fiction.

So why do I have to be lying here all alone feeling like I'm supposed to be at that wedding? Like I screwed this all up for myself? When I know it was all Harry. It's simply not fair. And I hate feeling like this. I felt like I belonged. They were like that one family of your best friend who you just simply felt comfortable with. Their home felt as comfortable as my own. That's not something normal, is it?

I lie here for hours, all day, watching movie after movie, waiting for that something to work itself out.

Maybe for Harry to show up at my door. Maybe he'll text me? Call me? Maybe it'll be Gemma. Or Anne. There could be a way for me to find myself at the wedding. Or the reception at least.

But now it's past eleven o'clock, and the wedding is long gone. Along with my month-long plans of attending and any relationship I could've had with Harry.