thirty six

"Why is it so stormy." I complain with a pout. I'm currently at Harry's house. His family is gone, like always, probably doing wedding things, so he invited me over, and now we're sitting in a room I haven't been in til now, (the game room), sitting in silence. All you can hear is the pouring rain hitting against the windows and the roof, and the occasional thunder, making me feel like I'm in a movie.

"Don't ask me." Harry answers in a bored tone, lying down on his back, phone held above his face as he scrolls.

"I hate storms." I put my head in my hand.

"Why?"

"I hate rain and thunder and...rain." Harry laughs.

"Aw, are you scared?"

"No, Harry, I'm not scared. I just don't like it."

"You're scared? Cute."

"You're so fucking annoying, I hate you."

"As much as rain?"

"More."

"I know that's not true." He says after he rests his head on my shoulder, scrolling through his phone still. I bring my hand up and lock his phone. "Brat." He mumbles before unlocking it again.

"Give me attention." I roll my eyes.

"You're like a needy girlfriend." Harry switches so that his head is in my lap, still scrolling through his phone above his face.

"Rude. I'm not needy, and I'm not your girlfriend."

"But you're like one."

"I am not needy!"

"It was a joke, but now..." He holds in a laugh.

"I hate you." I laugh and flick his forehead. He laughs again and locks his phone, setting it face down on his stomach. I bite my lip and look ahead, trying not to think about if I'll ever be Harry's girlfriend. It's been a week since he kissed me at school, and we haven't done it much at all since, but when we're alone, we do kiss occasionally and act all flirty. But we aren't dating. And it bothers me. I've always seen and read about situations where two people aren't dating but they're not just friends either, and now it's happening to me. I hate being in the middle.

"What are you thinking about?" Harry asks me. I look down at him. His hair is flopped back away from his forehead due to his position, and his eyes are almost sparkling from the weird shade of grey coming through the windows. He looks younger, more approachable, he looks cute. Like a guy you'd want to go up and talk to because he just looks so friendly.

"I don't know." I smile.

"Me?"

"Kind of." I laugh a little.

"About?"

"How I don't know what we are." I confess, not breaking eye contact for once in my life.

"I'm not good with labels." He says gently. It's crazy to find how far he's come. The old Harry would get pissed at that and be yelling at me by now. He'd never be lying his head in my lap during a storm, speaking so softly.

"I know." I shrug and give a small smile.

"Being someone's boyfriend scares me." He confesses and gives a slight laugh, breaking eye contact.

"I understand, it's okay." I let my hands play with his hair. I almost stop myself, but he doesn't stop me so I continue.

"But I don't wanna be just friends." He says in a quiet whisper, still looking toward his left.