seventeen

"Dude, did you sleep at all last night?" Terrence laughs at Harry, who's sitting across from me at the lunch table. He's right; Harry looks terrible. Well, he couldn't look ugly if he tried, but he looks exhausted. He has bags under his eyes and even though his hair is always kinda messy, it's pretty messy.

"Yeah, man, I'm fine." Harry looks around the room with his head in his hands. The bell rings to go to sixth period, and I catch up with Harry. I need to stop overthinking things and just go for it. Maybe he needs someone to talk to.

"Hey." He looks down at me and sighs. "Look, I know we're not friends or anything, but...let's be honest. You look terrible. And-" I cut myself off when Harry laughs.

"You're not afraid to be honest."

"Yeah." I give an embarrassed smile and put some hair behind my ear. "Anyway. I saw you at the store last week. With your mom. And I know-"

"What did I say about staying out of other people's business?"

"Yes. And I know. But you're clearly having a hard time, and sometimes people need a friend during-"

"Why are you being nice to me?" He stops walking and turns toward me with squinted eyes.

"What?" His question catches me off guard.

"Nevermind." He sighs and keeps walking.

"No, what were you gonna say? Why did you ask that?"

"I don't know."

"Well. Family issues are...hard. I get it." I nod, and then continue. "Well. That's a lie. I don't really have too many issues with my...family...but anyway, I mean-" I facepalm. "I'm here if you need someone to talk to." I finish and walk into the classroom.

That was brutal. I pray that we don't have group work today, so that I don't have to face Harry, and lucky me, we don't. However, it is a bit difficult to focus on math when Harry's sitting just on the other side of the room, chin in his hand, staring off at nothing.

••

"Noelle." I hear my name being said from behind me as I walk up to Mo's locker after school. I turn around to see Harry coming my way.

"Um, hi." I say in the most awkward way possible.

"Why don't we go somewhere?" He nods while looking around the building, then back at me.

"Uh," I start, caught off guard once again, "where, exactly?"

"Um..." He thinks. "I know this...diner, I guess?" He suggests with a shrug. I nod. Where did this come from?

"Uh, okay." I shrug and nod. "Would it be wrong to ask why?" I hesitate to ask. Harry narrows his eyes and slightly tilts his head before laughing a little, letting me know that he's not gonna answer my question. "Okay." I laugh.

We walk toward the back parking lot, and I text Mo to tell her I won't be needing a ride today.

Mo:
why?? did you find a new best friend :(

Me:
never! hahaha just going out with a friend

Mo:
who -_-

Me:
no one???
Me:
harry?

Mo:
bitch
Mo:
get his dick
Mo:
fucking GRAB IT AND RUN

Me:
MO THAT'S AWKWARD NO
Me:
STOP PLS

Mo:
I love you