forty three

I start to feel uncomfortable as talk of the wedding goes around the dinner table. Harry looks like he's holding something in while Anne and Robin go on and on about the subject. I, being polite, am trying to seem interested in the topic.

"Gemma is our Maid of Honor." Anne smiles proudly.

"That's so exciting. I'm really happy for you guys." I offer a sincere smile.

"Thank you so much, dear. I hope we'll definitely see you there!"

"Uh, yeah, for sure!" I laugh.

"And Harry here is our Best Man!" Anne starts. Harry clenches his jaw. I gently place my hand on top of his that's resting on his leg without thinking. He gives me a sideways glance. He looks back down at our hands, and Anne speaks up again.

"So excit-" She's interrupted by Harry standing up suddenly and storming off. I watch her smile fade as the awkward silence kicks in. I keep my eyes set on a random spot on the table in front of me. After a few minutes, Anne stands up, then Robin, then me. I make my way to Harry's room. He's sitting on his bed when I enter.

"This was a bad idea. You should go." He says plainly.

"What, what was a bad idea?"

"Inviting you over. You should go."

"What? Why? What did I do?"

"Just go."

"And walk?" I ask, already feeling the tears on their way.

"I don't know, figure it out." My mouth hangs open slightly and I try my best to blink away tears, but fail. I wish I wasn't so sensitive. I'm about to say something else, but decide to stop myself. Is it even worth it? He doesn't care. He's made that clear.

"Cool, now you're crying." Harry sighs and runs a hand through his hair.

"I'll just go." I sniff and turn around.

"Well now I feel bad." I furrow my eyebrows and turn around.

"Maybe you should." I shrug. "I know I did something real shitty but-"

"I don't care about that anymore."

"Then what did I do? I'm so confused, Harry, I don't get it." I try to stop the few tears running down my face.

"I'm sorry, I don't know, forget it."

"I'm not just gonna forget it now!" I scoff.

"Will you please stop crying?"

"What's it to you?" I roll my eyes and wipe my eyes, trying to stop the tears from falling more.

"It makes me feel like shit."

"Okay?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"Come here." I roll my eyes but sit next to him anyway. He grabs the bottom of my legs and pulls them over his lap, so that I'm sitting sideways toward him. "I don't get you." He says.

"You don't get me? I don't get you." I complain, wiping away the last of my tears.

"I know. It makes no sense." He shrugs. "I'm still iffy on the wedding and bringing it up a lot irritates me sometimes. You grabbing my hand made me feel all sappy which pisses me off."

"You made me cry because you felt sappy? You're kidding." I glare at him.

"It's what you do to me, love." He shrugs and holds in a laugh. He looks at me a moment before speaking. "Can I kiss you?"

"Are you seriously asking me that?" I laugh a little.

"I guess I am." He laughs at himself. I lean forward and kiss him with my hands resting on either side of his face. His hands remain on my legs that are still hanging over his lap.