eighteen

"Hey." I say as I sit down next to Harry at the lunch table, hopeful that he's still in as good a mood as yesterday.

"Hey." I slouch my shoulders and look around the table bored. Terrence and Mo are going with their own conversation, and I honestly don't know anyone else here besides Harry.

"How is everything?" I hesitantly ask.

"Usual." He shrugs. I put my head in my hand.

"You know-"

"Is this your way of making small talk?" Harry asks with a serious expression. I look away. I knew it was too good to be true. Until I hear the sound of Harry's laugh. "I'm joking. What's up?" My heart flutters at the sound and I hold back a smile. Why am I acting like this?

"Well, I was gonna ask how you liked those Disney movies."

"Ah." He nods, remembering.

"You gonna answer that?" I narrow my eyes at him when he takes too long to respond. He grips his water bottle and leans back with a laugh. I don't think I've seen this side of Harry. "You totally loved them, didn't you!?"

"I will never tell." He smiles and looks at the wall.

"Aw, Harry likes Tangled!"

"Would you lower your voice? And no, it was terrible."

"Hey!" I laugh and my jaw drops jokingly. "No, that's not fair! You made it seem like you enjoyed them!"

"Tangled was very predictable, I gotta tell you."

"Okay then. Zootopia?"

"Cliché."

"You liked The Good Dinosaur. I know it. I know it." Harry shakes his head and shrugs, clearly holding back a smile. "You did!"

"That one was..."

"You liked it!" I tease him, poking his arm. He grabs my finger.

"Nope. You won't get it out of me. If you're waiting for me to say it, I won't." He gets in my face.

"I don't need you to say it, I already know." I say proudly.

"I already know." He mocks me.

"You're in a good mood today." I laugh and immediately regret it. The moment it comes out of my mouth is the moment things go back to normal.

"I try." Harry says.

"I want to throw another party!" Terrence shrugs. "Who is going to volunteer their house? Harry....?" Terrence points at Harry.

"We'll see." He shrugs.

"First Noel." He moves his finger to me.

"Are you ever gonna stop calling me that?" I complain.

"He won't." Harry puts his head in his hand.

"Come on! It's so good. So good." Terrence says, then moves to the next person. "Diana..." I tune him out and rest my head on the table. I feel two pats on my head and for a second I believe it's Harry, but I look up to see Mo smiling at me with an arm out.

"You okay, darlin'?"

"Fantastic." I smile.

"Is it raining?" Mo squints her eyes toward the windows of the cafeteria.

"I think so. And of course, I wore the one jacket with no hood." I smile at my own stupidity. I should've checked the weather this morning before school. However, this weather is giving me Christmas vibes, which I am so ready for.

The bell soon rings, and I start accidentally walking by Harry. I don't mean to walk with him, but since we're going to the same place, it only makes sense that we'd be walking near each other.

"Following me?" Harry jokes, and I can tell he's really trying to be in a good mood, as much as it kills him.

I need to stop talking like I know him so well. I literally don't.

"Of course. I'm your biggest fan. Please, oh, please sign my face." I say emotionless.

"Ha ha. You're funny." I laugh.

"Do you think we'll be doing group work today?" I narrow my eyes at nothing in particular. "Probably not..."

"I'm gonna say yes." Harry starts. "This lady has been giving us group work like every week now. It's the end of the week and she hasn't given us group work yet."

"I'm thinking she won't. We rarely did group work before our last lesson, and now we're onto a new lesson."

"Exactly. New lesson, new group work."

"I don't think so, Harold." He gives me a look.

"What was that?"

"What was what?"

"I cannot believe you just called me Harold, you jerk." He laughs.

"Cool, I'll make sure to keep calling you that."

"Then I'll start calling you First Noel."

"You dick." I laugh.

"Okay, wait. You say no group work?" He stops me before we enter the classroom.

"No group work."

"Let's bet on it. $20."

"Fine." I narrow my eyes.

"You say no group work, I say group work. Whoever wins gets $20 from the other. Deal?" I like this Harry. Please don't go away.

"Deal." I shake his hand, and we walk in together. I notice Tasha glaring at me as I walk in with Harry, and I get a little uncomfortable, so I quietly go to my seat and sit down.

We're halfway through class and I'm so close to my $20.

That is until she announces, "Group work! Choose your groups!"

My head snaps to Harry, who's smirking at me with his hand out as if to say 'Give me the money.' I roll my eyes and cross my arms over my chest.

"Pay up, First Noel."

"Whatever, Harold."

"Okay enough of the ugly nicknames. What did I tell you?"

"I really thought we'd be done with group work!" I complain.

"You should have listened to me. Never make a bet with me. I told you. I'm very, very competitive. I always win."

"Jerk." I mutter. He playfully rolls his eyes.

I still don't get him.

I do not understand him at all.