twenty seven

"Why are there so many people?" I yell to Mo over the loud music.

"Because it's New Year's Eve!" She yells back.

"Why do you keep dragging me to Terrence's parties?"

"Why do you keep asking questions? It's the last day of the year, let's not waste it!"

I'm honestly more scared to see Harry than anything else. After our moment at his mom's party, I had to go home and that was it. We haven't talked since. I know now that Harry isn't the type of guy to have a girlfriend. I kept telling myself that it'd be possible, but it's clear to me now that it's just not something Harry is about. I'll live with that.

"First Noel! Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel! Born is the King of Israel!" I roll my eyes at Terrence's greeting. I walk past him and straight to the fridge. The last time I was in this house was Anne's party, and I'm getting such amazing flashbacks that I'm starting to hate them.

I open the fridge and bend down to grab a water bottle. Someone's hands rest on my lower back as they scoot past me, and I immediately stand up to see who it was:

Harry.

By the time I see who it is, he's already reached his destination. How can something literally so simple make my heart beat so fast. I'm so annoying.

I close the fridge and walk back over to Mo.

"Let's dance, babe." Mo grabs my water and sets it on the counter.

But I just grabbed it.

I pout and let her pull me. I've never been one to dance at public places; weddings, school dances, parties. But here I am.

I try my best to move to the music and not look awkward while doing so. Mo grabs my hands and moves her hips, singing along to the words. I feel embarrassed to not even recognize the song.

The next song starts playing, and people start crowding around to get ready to dance. Of course this could only be the infamous, the sensational, the legend herself:

The Cha-Cha Slide.

I laugh with Mo. There's no way I wouldn't be going hard for this. I may not like to dance at public events, but if this song comes on, you know damn well I'm getting right up and dancing my little heart out.

To the left

Take it back now y'all

I laugh when Mo bumps into me. I don't think I've ever seen such a big crowd of full-ass grown teenagers dancing the Cha-Cha Slide, but I am absolutely here for it.

Terrence is a few feet in front of us, going wild on the dance and I laugh at the sight. He looks hilarious, clapping his hands and cha-cha-ing away.

The song ends much too soon, and Terrence is already ready for another round.

"Cupid Shuffle! You guys! The fuckin' Cupid Shuffle, yeah!?" Terrence stretches both arms up to the ceiling.

In conclusion, the night is going well, full of dancing and laughing, almost enough to get my mind off of Harry. Until Mo is grinding on a guy, and I'm suddenly on my own.

I make my way out of the crowd and upstairs. I find myself walking to Harry's room. It's just already past 11pm, and I don't want to miss the countdown, so I'll make my way downstairs soon.

I close the door behind me and walk toward the bed. I glance down under the bed. I'm so tempted. I wonder if he's written any new lyrics. I squeeze my eyes shut before giving in.