twenty six

I groan and viciously look through my closet.

"What's going on up here?" Mom opens my bedroom door.

"It's 11:30 and I have nothing to wear!" I throw my hands up in the air.

"Oh my goodness, I thought something was wrong." Mom rolls her eyes.

"This is wrong, I have nothing to wear." I whine. What do you wear to a holiday party? A holiday party hosted by the mom of the guy you sorta like but he doesn't like you back just yet but you want him to so you want to look good?

What am I doing to myself.

"What do you even wear to a Christmas party?" I look to Mom.

"I don't know, honey. Just dress nice."

"Like a dress? Is that too fancy? Like will it look like I'm trying too hard?" I hold up a dress to myself in the body mirror.

"What's this boy's name again?" Mom asks and leans on my shoulder with her hands and chin.

"Harry." I sigh.

"Harry what?"

"Styles."

"Harry Styles." Mom nods and stands up straight. "Does he like you?"

"Mom!" I hang the dress back up in my closet.

"What?" I glare at her.

"I'll figure it out. Bye!" I push her out of my room and close the door. I hop onto my bed and open up a text with Harry. I hesitate to text him and try to think of something causal to say.

Me:
what do you wear to a christmas party?

I play with my bottom lip between my two fingers as I wait for a reply. To my surprise, he answers pretty quickly.

Harry:
Funny.

Harry:
Figure it out.

Me:
rude much

Harry:
Just telling it like it is.

Harry:
But if you really don't know, you should probably dress nice. Don't want to look like a slob in front of all my mom's fancy friends.

Me:
obviously

Me:
but I don't wanna look too fancy either, that's weird

Harry:
You're an over thinker.

Harry:
Do you not have a casual dress? Don't girls usually have those?

Me:
whatever

Me:
you are no help at all

Harry:
I just told you what to wear you brat.

Me:
WHATEVER bye

I laugh and set my phone down to look through more clothes. I choose a plain, long-sleeve, olive green dress. Casual enough, right?

I slip on my black heeled boot things, I don't exactly know what to call them, and find Mom. I look down at the time.

11:53am.