What They Left Behind

You didn't show them anything we said, right?

No. I never even recorded it. They just asked me to tell them what I know.

Which was...?

That you both had crushes on each other since you were five and only now do you have the guts to finally tell each other how much the both of you cared.

And...?

And that you're both wusses for not kissing or saying the three important words yet.

... Injury of an insult runs deep across the heart...

You just made that quote up.

But it's the truth!

Well that's your own problem. Though, I find it amusing that you two just decided to get 'together' without saying the three words.

I'm too nervous to say it...

That may be what you're like, but Jin doesn't get flustered easily. I wonder what he's waiting for.

Maybe for when we finally get some time alone without others listening in on us.

It's not my fault that you keep me with you 24/7.

I worry about you!! And- Hang on a second, did you call us wusses? Where did you even get that term?

Niara.

Eva let out a sigh as she fiddled with her CCM again. It was now the afternoon and she was still waiting for her brother to return. Currently, she was in her brother's room. Unlike in the Duck Shuttle, no one had to share rooms or beds anymore beacuse NICS could provide one room for each person.

The door opened to reveal a certain Russian. "Still no news?"

"No. He wouldn't answer my calls either." The blonde replied with a sigh.

"I'm sure he'll be here soon-"

"Excuse me, Niara." The male in question said from behind her.

"Eh-?! Oh, sorry." Niara stepped to the side, letting Hugo through.

"Nii-san, are you alright?" Eva immediately questioned him.

He nodded. "Yeah. After going back there and getting some stuff, I actually feel a lot better."

"Back where?"

"Our old house." At her shock, he smiled wryly. "Sorry I didn't take you with me. I wanted some time to myself at that place. But I brought your stuff back too."

"My stuff?" She repeated. "Like what?"

"To start with, this photo." He took out a picure frame from one of the boxes he was holding that had two children in it, smiling brightly at the camera. Below their faces were crayon writings.

"'Evie and Nia'..." Niara blinked, and blinked, and blinked. And then it hit her. "WAIT A SECOND. HOLY CRAP I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T REALIZE UNTIL NOW. AND I WAS THE ONE WHO RECOGNIZE HUGO'S REAL IDENTITY BACK AT THE FORTRESS!!"

"Huh...?"

"Eva! This was us! Like, I guess it makes sense that you don't remember because I didn't either, but damn... Damn, it's been so long since this was taken..."

"Oh wow... So we actually knew each other before? And 'Nia' is your nickname..."

"And I called you 'Evie', because I'm unique like that."