Awakening

Their ages were set. He was 10, she was 9. It felt a little strange to be that small again, but he payed it no mind. Walking to the garden, he spotted the blonde girl sleeping against a tree. He sat down beside her, quietly as to not wake her up. A little further away from them, he spotted a white flower.

Something about this is familiar...

He shook his head. It was probably nothing.

Then she began to stir. Rubbing her eyes, they blinked open and she sat up. when she noticed him, she smiled cheerfully. "Hiya Jin!"

He nodded, returning the smile. "Hi. Did I wake you up?" Very familiar...

She shook her head. "No... I don't think so...?" She found herself confused. "Well, nevermind."

They started to talk about random things. They'd switch topics every time a new word comes up into the conversation. Things felt calm and it was like nothing could go wrong.

Jin understood now, why she would choose to stay here instead of the real world. But even so... "Hey Eva."

"Mmhm?"

"You do know what this place is, right?"

Her smile dropped. She turned away, but nodded. "Yes..."

He cast a glance at her for a second before turning to the flower from before. "I can see why you really like it here though."

"Do you remember?" She suddenly asked. Seeing his confused face, she smiled again. A story book appeared in her hands.  "Read it."

He opened the book and the images began to move on their own. Music played from it too, and he listened intently as he watched.

It didn't take him long to figure out it was a reference to their own life. The goddess represented Kamiya from that particular memory, the villagers were the bullies, and so on. The part with the bright stars represented that one night when she sneaked out to stargaze, the one with the rats was when he first saw just how bad the bullying was and defended her, and the scene with the white lily-

Was right here.

"It was pretty." She spoke up. "I liked it a lot... But it wilted... Just like the flower crowns we made."

"That's normal though." He stated.

"I guess..." She shook her head. "But I don't like that. I don't like that pretty things could go away like that so fast. I don't like the bad things that always happens after we settle down."

He understood that well. It seems like they couldn't get a break for even one day. Something bad always happens, whether it be big or small. Despite that, he stayed firm. "Then think about the good things." New images began appearing in the book. "Grandfather did all those horrible things, but because of that we became friends with Ban and the others. When we got separated, the Detector incident brought us together, the Mizel incident let us understand you better... There are a lot of good things in the real world too, Eva."

"I... guess... I don't know..." She was starting to waver.

"If you can feel sad, then there has to be happiness there too, right?" He smiled. "You know as well as I do, I can't guarantee that things will get better. But at least, just think about it. You've got many friends and your brother's alive. Everything's already great the way it is."

She nodded slowly but still looked unsure. He got a hold of her hand and placed it on top of the book. The images multiplied and flew out of the book. They showed every single happy memories they shared from the day they met until this point.

"Things get hard, Eva." He stated once again. "But that's what makes the rewards that come afterwards worth it, right?"

She couldn't argue with that. No, even if she could, she wouldn't. Looking at the images, she smiled. "Right."

A bright light shone from the book and engulfed them. The flower-shaped barrier disappeared.

~~~~~

Jin opened his eyes to the familiar surroundings of his control pod. Without a word, he opened it and went straight to the lab, where Eva was.

Olivia, Izayoi, Gouda and Sendou were no longer there, meaning that they must've went up to the Seeker Base part of the building, where Hugo and the rest had been watching them from their monitor.

He cast a glance at her sleeping form before turning to a computer screen that had the same image as what the rest are watching. He sat down beside the bed and watched silently.

~~~~~

Eva blinked her eyes open and found herself floating in the Infinity Net. She was back to her 13 year old self. The island had disappeared and Mizel was in front of her, glitching.

"Are you okay?" She tried to reach for him, but she phased through.

He smiled. "I'm fine. But I used too much energy in such a short timespan. I no longer have the strenght to go into my physical form."

She bit her lip. "So... You're stuck here?"

He nodded slightly. "Apparently so. It will take a while, but if needed, I will find a way back. At least into that modified Killer Droid body if not my own."

Before she could reply, Hugo did. "Yes you are needed. You could be of so much help if you're willing to work with me."

"To complete the VR Mind?"

"That, and many more. You've seen how many plans were kept in that one box. I can't recreate everything Eric and Karen Avalstone created by myself."

"You plan on reviving Aval-Tech."

"No. Just the projects. I'm an inventor and a scientist, but not a company manager."

Mizel let out a small smile. "I accept the offer." He then turned to the blonde girl, who was grinning ear to ear. "Now then, he's waiting to give you a hug."

"'He'?" She blinked, but before she could do anything else, Mizel snapped his fingers and she disappeared from the screen. "Now then, if you'll excuse me." Mizel glitched out of the Net.

~~~~~

The second she jolted awake, she was immediately wrapped in a hug. Her face flushed, but she didn't hesitate in returning it.

Things are finally going back to normal.