ten

Denna's POV

"How do I begin?" I ask, not knowing how exactly to start with the giant truth about my life that no one, not even Steph knows.

And she's my best friend.

Calum and I haven't even established a friendship yet.

"However you want, i'm not going to judge you."

I smile a bit and he returns it back to me.

"Well, I don't know how to sugarcoat it, so here's the truth. My family is pretty damn dysfunctional. And it's been this way ever since I was little. They like to joke around and threaten me like saying that they'll lock me up in a pitch black room for a week if i screw up on simple things and its just so damn stupid. I really hate it. I hate them. I used to get crammed in little boxes for hours by my brothers until I would give in and cry."

I break down and start crying.

Damn it Denna, don't be so weak.

You can tell the story without crying. Thats what normal people who have normal family's do.

"Wow, thats...wow. Isn't that technically child abuse?" he asks me, cautious about his words.

I had never considered that.

"Mmmm, I'm not actually sure."

"Would you consider it child abuse? I mean, you're not legal yet. You're still in high school. You're a child."

"You're right, but I would never rat out my parents like that."

"Why?" he raise his eyebrow at me.

"I am the product of them you dipshit. I am basically them. I can't rat out myself."

"Do you think that they consider that when they hurt you like that?"

I stare at him for a minute, and break down completely.

"I know Calum. You're right."

I need comforting, and this boy that I couldn't stand 24 hours ago is there awkwardly putting his arm around me trying to pull me in and make me happy again.

I don't turn it down.

I hug Calum so tight, I swear I'm gonna break that boy.

"And my brothers... ugh don't even get me started on them. They push me into things and use me to knock over lamps and pots and things, and put the blame on me. Ive been pushed into so many door and walls and windows and flower pots and glasses and they shatter and... wait a second."

I start to lift my shirt, and Calum eyes go wide as he says "Woah um we aren't that close."

I then realize what it probobly seems like i'm doing, and that he doesn't know what to expect from me, so I can't really blame him for thinking my intentions are screwed up.

"Oh no Calum, haha, I didn't mean that that way. I just, I have this scar on my lower back from when my brother pushed me into a window a few gets back when he came back drunk from his girlfriends house. The glass completely fell off and a part of it went into my back." I pointed to my back just over my belt line.

I was aware that my high waisted skirt would cover most of it, but it was large enough that the small part would seem like a lot.

"That's, wow Denna."

"Yeah. I know." I comment, pulling my shirt down.

"Have you told anyone?"

"I-" I look down at my red converse, "I'm embarrassment that I just confessed that."

He looks at me, confused.

"What is there to be embarrassed about? Thats all your family's problem, not yours."

I laugh a little with a few dry tears staining my face and ruining my mascara even further.

"My family's problem is my problem genius."

He scrunches his mouth a little and counters "not reallyyyyyyy!"

I laugh a little, and he just awkwardly smiles at me.

"What are you smiling about?" I joke.

He blushes a bit, and replys with a simple shake of the head.

"Hey Calum, you still have to tell me what you said."

His eyes go wide and he looks at me, terrified probably.

I heard him the first time, but I want to hear him say it again.

I may seem like a vain and stuck up asshole, but it's just a front.

I never hear good things about myself.

And Calum said something so sweet.

I want to hear it again and again.

"I- Do I have to Denna?"

"I heard it the first time. I just want to hear it again."

"I said you're cute."

I blush and so does he.

We don't talk for a few minutes, just lost in our separate thoughts.

My thoughts are all revolved around what Calum said.

Does he mean that?

Does he like me?

Do I want him to?

Calum's POV

Shit shit shit why?

Why would I have said that?

The empty silence is slowly torturing me.

"Denna?"

"Mmhmm?" she nervously asks.

"What are we now?" I start to regret my words instantly. I don't want to be suggestive. I just want her.

"Friends?" she slowly suggests.

I smile.

"Friends."

A/N

I AM EMOTIONAL BC THIS CHAPTER

AND

WHERE WE ARE TOUR TOMORROW HOLY SHIT

I CAN'T WAIT TO REALIZE THAT THE 50F TALL BOY IS NOT A FIGMENT OF MY IMAGINATION BUT AN ACTUAL PERSON

CJSFJAKDOAJFKSBDIDOAJSJD

K BYE

~Garima