twenty one

Denna's POV

"-and I'm sorry." a shaky voice says, finishing a sentence off.

What?

My eyes open, and through the brightness of the lights in the white room I'm in, I see him there.

Calum.

Where am I? And what's going on?

"Yo-You're sorry for what?" I whisper, rubbing my eyes.

He starts tearing up, then his eyes go wide.

"SHE'S AWAKE!" he yells out the curtain that seems to be the only way out of this room.

"Who are you yelling to?" I ask, so confused.

And then it all starts to come back, slowly.

I was pushed to the ground by some chick.

He was hitting on Calum to the point where he got intimidated by her and I defended him.

She did this.

I remember it now.

Doctors come rushing in and check various things.

Blood pressure, heart rate, and a bunch of things I don't know the names of.

Calum speaks loud over the sounds of the various instruments around me.

"I was saying that," he stops in mid-sentence and slaps himself "God, this is hard to say right in this moment..."

What's hard to say?

What's happening?

"It's my fault you fainted an hour ago, Denna."

I shake my head.

Incorrect, he couldn't help but be intimidated by her, and I have a natural instinct to stand up for the helpless since I'm one myself with my family. I just have to do it without other people knowing its me, because popularity matters more.

Although for some reason, letting Calum get hurt a few weeks ago meant far far less than it did just now.

"No, it's the girl-who-pushed-me-downs-fault." I reply, matter-of-factly.

"What?"

I raise my eyebrows in confusion at his remark.

"That was almost a week ago..."

But...

What?

I furiously shake my head, so done with this conversation.

"Bu-But you said I fainted an hour ago?"

Calum's POV

Why isn't she remembering this?

She woke up, got checked a bit, came outside, she got pissed at me when i was pestering her, asking what had happened, she told me, I reacted, she laughed so hard at my reaction that she had another heart failure.

"You mean you don't remember all that happened when you woke up from that?"

"I woke up from that?" I nod my head "Then, why am I still here? And why did I just wake up? That makes no sense Calum!"

One of the doctors surrounding us turns to me and says "She's having memory loss."

No shit doc. I think I got that.

"I think I realized. When'll she be better by?" I ask hopefully, praying mentally that I'll be able to talk to her when she remembers everything before I go to Africa tomorrow.

"She should remember everything within the next day, but don't force anything onto her. She needs to remember on her own."

I nod my head, heartbroken that I can't tell her what I felt inside when she told me she had a heart failure.

Holding in my tears, I ask "When can she go home?"

"Not until she remembers everything. At least a day. It's best if you don't be near her for the day."

I nod, and walk out, tears falling down my face.

Knowing I won't be able to talk to her again until a bit more than a week, I begin to cry.

Denna, she's so helpless right now, and I can't take care of her for the next ten days since i'll be in South Africa on my family mission trip.

What am I going to do?

Does she remember about it?

No, of course not. She doesn't remember anything at all.

Ugh.

I make my way slowly towards my car, which reminds me of the first day me and Denna had a civil conversation, on her driveway.

Everything for the next ten days will probably remind me of her.

I get into my car and take the long way home, listening to Green Day on the radio with a cloudy mind, and my head repeating one sentence over and over again.

Africa is gonna suck without

A/N

helllloooooooo

that video of Calum will literally be the death of me bc oh oKAY THEN COOL

I'm gonna try to double update tonight😇

~Garima