Chapter 1: A Blank Space

January 6, 2019.

A cold, Saturday morning it was in this part of Cali. I ate my bland breakfast of beans on toast with a hint of specialty, all because I made it. 

What a joke. I didn't know the first thing about cooking. 

All the maids are on leave for the long weekend, despite my mother's offer to double their salary for the three days. Family always came first, huh? Can't really put a price on that - to them, that is. 

I heard my mother's loud stiletto footsteps on the tiles coming towards the kitchen. Another pair of footsteps followed hastily behind. 

My mother pops her head in through the kitchen archway. "Alexandria, we'll be back tonight. Listen, I did try to keep the maids here for the long weekend. Even tried to find some casuals. But sorry, hun." She pursed her lips and shook her head. 

"It's fine, mother."

"Just order anything you want, okay? Bye."

"See you later, Alexandria!" My mother's husband shouted from the front door.

In a moment, the rev of their Lexus was heard loud and clear then they were off to wherever they were off to.

I finished my breakfast and walked over to the sink where I placed my plate. I began to walk away when I stopped. I tilted my head and slowly turned around. 

I walked back to the sink and looked down at my plate. "To leave 'til Tuesday morning or to not leave 'til Tuesday morning." I contemplated. 

That would be gross.

I put the long gloves on for dishwashing and began to work my magic. What a funny feeling this was. This is a basic necessity for day to day living. I could get used to this, and much more. You know, doing something useful with my life for once.

After doing 'a chore', I went upstairs to grab my equipment for homeschool in an hour. 

I'm now homeschooled ever since seventh grade. I went to this super fancy elementary school and I got bullied for being a loner. I just never understood even the basics of socialising and social norms or what they even were. I was bullied by the girls a lot. And so I never liked school and my mother...respected that. Not that she cared all that much for it anyway. However, ever since homeschooling, I feel like I'm always able to keep on top of things due to my one-on-one sessions which, with only a few months away from officially starting 'senior year', is extremely important. 

I do take my studies quite seriously considering my subject choices for senior year; English advanced, English extension 1, English extension 2, legal studies, business studies, mathematics advanced and economics. It's clear that I enjoy writing and literature the most. It's just so fascinating how I find my mind able to conjure up the most colourful thoughts and fantasies imaginable then be able to construct them into a structured manner. The best part is the finished product, the completed cake. The cherry on top is reading your work and seeing it come to life right before your very eyes. 

Yes, I do Saturdays as well because I honestly don't do much with my life besides homeschool, two hours of homework everyday, two hours of note-making everyday and two hours of piano lessons every Saturday. I don't have social media nor do I have friends. This routine just really helps me keep my mind off things. I also make sure I get nine to ten hours of sleep every single day.

I suddenly hear the doorbell ring. I ran downstairs with my belongings and quickly put them in my little classroom that my stepfather had made for me a few years back beside his office. I then went to the door to greet my teacher. "Good Morning, Miss Lane."