Christmas Day 12 (Draco x Harry, Magical)

Twelve drummers drumming

Draco smiled at the sleeping man besides him. There was a serene look on his face whenever he slept.

The blond stroked his cheek gently and sat up.

"Where are you going?" Harry asked, still half asleep.

"I was going to the study." Harry rolled his eyes and scoffed.

"I see more and more of your father in you every day."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"No, of course not. You're both good men." Draco grinned.

"I'd die of shock if you had said that in our teenage years."

"I probably would too." The wizard that used to be his rival pulled him back into bed. "Relax for just a bit. Today is special." Harry ran his fingers through Draco's platinum locks.

"Is it?" Harry knew from the playful look in his grey eyes that he was joking.

"12 years today, is it?" He laced their fingers together, looking at the gold rings.

"I believe so." Draco kissed his forehead lovingly.

When they first started the relationship, Harry definitely wouldn't have let him do that. It started as a friendship to help cope with the past, and ended as a marriage that would hopefully last forever. Both of them had traumatic memories of the war and dealt with it together.

Lucius wasn't happy with it in the beginning, but Harry had proven he could grow on pretty much everyone.

"I can't believe it. 12 years sounds like a long time to me." Draco's eyes became unfocused as he thought of fond memories they'd made in the years of knowing each other.

"Time flies, my dear. Now we're both 32, practically senior citizens."

"Mm. You age very elegantly then."

"Thank you." Harry performed a sort of ritual he did every year for their anniversary.

He put his head against the left side of Draco's chest and listened carefully. Thump, thump, thump. A steady rhythm that reminded Harry of drums. The most beautiful drums he'd ever heard.

"What are you doing?" The blond asked, though he knew the answer.

"Making sure this isn't a cruel dream that may never happen in real life." Harry would say this every year. Now, Draco reached down to pinch his cheek.

"See? It's real." Harry's smile could have made the most depressed of wizards become cheerful once more. The corners of his eyes wrinkled whenever he smiled like that. "I think we can get breakfast in an hour or two. It's still early." Draco held Harry against his chest and that was when they both felt happiest.

The blond pressed a kiss to the crown of Harry's head.

"I love you." Harry's voice was muffled, but still understandable.

"I love you too. Promise me something?"

Harry nodded, hearing his serious tone.

"Promise me we'll do this every year. It'd feel wrong to not do it."

"I promise." Harry snuggled up in his arms and listened to the drum.

It had a slow, constant pattern that could soothe him in the most terrible of situations.

Harry knew he couldn't love any other heart nearly as much as his husband's and he wished for it to beat as long as they were married.

A/N: the last day! I hope you all are happy with your Christmas presents. I will admit writing this 10k+ word gift was stressful, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have fun.

P.s. very sorry about late updates. Life gets in the way!