Chapter 8

JACE POV

I sit on my bed, the shoe box containing the most treasured things I own resting on my lap. Taking off the lid I inspect my most prized possessions. The ring my father left to me before his death with the Wayland crest, a lion roaring against the silver band.

I'd like to think the crest is accurate, I see myself that way at least, as brave and ferocious as the king of the jungle but then I think of Clary and how damn feeble I feel around her. I'm supposed to be a lion but around her, I'm a frightened cub. I guess the lion will always fall prey to his lioness.

I move the ring to the side to examine the rest of the contents. The papers from when Maryse adopted me. The best and worst day of my existence. I gained a brother and sister that day and Maryse will always be a second mother to me but for as much as I gained I lost.

I put the papers down as the sparkle of my mother's earrings shine against the dull box, I place Clary's drawing on top of my most cherished possessions knowing this picture very well might have just become the one that matters the most.

I put the box back under my bed and walk out my room, heading towards Alec's. I pat the drawing that had Clary so freaked out, making sure it's still in my pocket. She had tossed it in the trash and like a stalker, I doubled back to get it without her knowing.

I knock on Alec's door knowing very well what happened last time I didn't. I shudder at the mental image that pops into my mind. Alec throws open the door and to my relief Magnus is with him and dressed.

He opens the door wider, so I can come inside, Magnus is sprawled on the bed and I take a seat in the chair in the corner.

"You're interrupting our alone time Wayland. Go away," Magnus chirps.

"I need your help." I all but plead, I hate how pathetic my voice sounds but that's where I am right now.

"I asked Clary out and she said yes, I..."
I stop taking when Alec and Magnus gape at me.

"You did what? "

"Biscuit agreed to what?"

They say at the same time, "wipe the shocked looks off your face and help me, focus," I say as I snap my fingers," I need you to focus."

Magnus sits up wagging his manicured finger, "you do not snap your fingers at me. Apologize, if you want my help."

I sigh, Magnus is frustrating, he is petty, dramatic and he just so happens to be the only person that could help me understand Clary better. In other words, I need him and if I have to grovel, I will.

"I'm sorry I just need your help." Magnus nods taking this into consideration.

"What do you think you're doing Jace! I know you have this infatuation with this girl, but how will this affect the fight."

"I... I'm not going to think about that right now Alec, I'll worry about it when it's closer."

"Eleven days! That's not close enough for you?"

"Alec, this is real, what if someone told you to stay away from Magnus? Could you do it?"

Alec looks at me then, his eyes cutting into mine, "are you comparing your fleeting feelings for this girl to me and Magnus? You've known her for three days!"

"That's how I feel about her Alec! Who are you to tell me not to go for what I want?"

His eyes soften then, "I'm sorry Jace you're my brother, in fact you're more than that, I wish there was a term created that accurately describes how deep our bond goes. I want you to be happy, but it can't be with her, she's our rival. The leader of the Shadows of night, it can't work out."