Chapter 57

Clary POV 

"I'm sorry you're going to do what?!" I say looking at my beautiful mind brother. He's lost his damn mind and somehow I have to figure out a way to help him find it.

"I'm going to take the fall for all of it and I'm taking Valentine down with me, it's already set in motion Clary, I... I just wanted to say goodbye."

"The hell you are Johnathan Morgenstern, the hell you are. You call whoever you need to call and undo whatever the hell you just did or I swear..."

"Come on Clary, " Johnathan says almost sadly, "We both know that's where I should have been for what I did two years ago."

I look at him, really look at him, his eyes are glassy like he's about to cry and I know his unfallen tears are not for him but for me. He wants to sacrifice it all for me because he feels like he took everything away from me and for a long time I thought he did. But I'm stronger than I have ever been and my anger was misguided.

To lose Johnathan now, after everything... I won't do it, I won't. I've worked my ass off for a new beginning but one day I would like to see my brother by my side. Things will never be perfect and Jace along with Simon will never forgive him but I would like the opportunity to try. Try and build something out of the broken shambles of what's left of our family.

"No Johnathan, I'll tell them the truth, I'll admit to killing them all, they found my hair, they'll believe me." Panic is shone clearly in his eyes, he knows I'm right.

"Clary no, " Jace says pulling my arm as if trying to talk some sense into me. And yeah I get it I sound fucking crazy. My brother is here offering me, offering my boyfriend a get out of jail free card, literally and I'm refusing it. But they don't understand, they don't see how I could forgive him, how I could look at the man that nearly killed me and see anything but a monster. But that "monster" is my brother, my lost brother who was practically raised by the definition of evil.

His whole life he had no one and from my own personal experience, I know exactly what he went through. And damn it, I want to give him the chance no one else did. I want to be to Johnathan what Luke, Simon, and Magnus were to me. Someone to look up to, someone to cry with, someone to talk to, just someone to fucking be there.

If he goes to jail he will be just as alone as he was since the day he was born and I can't stand the thought of that. He deserves better.

"Clary please, you have to let me do this."

"Why? To punish yourself? For revenge on Valentine? Why Johnathan?"

"For redemption, " he says so softly it's barely louder than a whisper.

"Damn it, Johnathan, damn it." He smiles at me but I can't force one in return. He shrugs his backpack off his shoulders and hands it to me.

"This is the paperwork and keys for all my properties, I've signed everything over to you and before you refuse you're actually doing me a favor. I want to keep this in the family and you sister, you're the only one I can count on. So, please, " he says thrusting out the bag again and this time I take it.

"How are you taking down Valentine?" I ask trying to change the subject to anything other than Johnathan being taken away.

He shakes the recorder, "this goes on for days, I have his confession for a lot of things that have sent others to death for less. Lucky for me Valentine has always been an arrogant and cocky son of a bitch. He thinks everyone fears him too much to take a stand but he is hated more than he is feared. Clary I told you I would make you safe. Valentine has almost no more ally's and from prison, that number will dwindle to zero. No one will have any reason to harm you ever again. Live your life, Clary... for the both of us."

Just them there's banging on the door seems to get louder by the second, "I told them I would peacefully go so long as they picked up Valentine first. Goodbye, sister, you are the true legacy to the Morgenstern name and I know you will remove the stain that our father and I have left in our wake, " he then turns to Jace and nods, "she can take care of herself but you look out for her anyways."

Jace nods, "always."

With one last look at me, Johnathan walks towards the door.

"Wait!" I scream so loud I'm sure the cops getting ready to burst the door down can hear it. I run to Johnathan and throw my arms around him. "You were never a stain, you were misguided and you were in the wrong more than a few times but nobody is perfect. And in case you didn't read my note I forgive you, for everything. You're my brother and I'm proud of you, never forget that okay? Blood is thicker than pain than mistakes. You once told me that I saved you, " I say pause trying to keep my tears from falling.

"And you deserved to be saved." I say meaning every damn word. He releases me when the pounding gets even louder followed by threats but instead of looking sad he smiles up at me.

"Family is all I have ever wanted and you've given me that Clary." With one last look, he strides to the door. Determination in every one of his steps. As soon as the door is flung open he's swarmed. "Johnathan, " I say and wait until his eyes meet mine, " I think you've gotten that redemption you were looking for, " he beams at me then as he's hauled outside. I follow him, almost being blinded by the flashing lights, there must be fifteen cars all with the sirens wailing.

As I walk closer to the cars I see one familiar glaring face. The saying if looks could kill comes to mind when his piercing gaze fixes on me. Valentine.
If he wasn't handcuffed right now I'm certain he would do everything in his power to take me out but he can't do anything. He's helpless, just like I was all those years ago. "How does it feel?" I want to scream at the top of my lungs but I don't. He knows how it feels now but I can't help but gloat just a little.

I wiggle my fingers in a slight wave and see the fury in his eyes as it ignites in a blaze like I've seen countless times before.  He mouths something and it takes me a second to decipher but when I do my blood runs cold. "This isn't over." Only three words but this is Valentine and Valentine doesn't make threats he makes promises.

Thanks for reading Angels! I'm so sorry about the wait! I've started a new job and I'm in training hours away from
my home so things have been a little weird. Please vote and comment. :D
Published 8/27/19