Chapter 42

Jace's POV

"your girl isn't dead yet but she'll join you soon. I'll find her brother's safe house and when I do its night night little redhead. You know she's pretty feisty I might have some fun with that one before her inevitable death."

He aims the gun at my head but I don't see the barrel nor do I hear the shot, my movements are so fast I'm not even in aware of them all I see is red, all I think of is Clary. I can feel the bullet whizz by me as I spin out of the way, I snap his wrist and the gun falls right into my hands. I send my elbow into his nose as he screams out.

"Please! I'm sorry!"

The coward begs but I don't care, his pleas mean nothing to me. I shove him against the wall, his back smacks the tile with a sickening crack, " what did you say you were going to do to Clary?"

"Nothing... I... I.. swear I was just talking. Please don't kill me, I'll do anything. I'll tell you anything, Valentine sent me okay? I want nothing to do with this. Johnathan took her and then Valentine lost his mind, he's gone mad."

"Where did Johnathan take her?" I say almost spitting in his face.

"I have no idea but I'm so sorry please don't kill me."

"You try to shoot me, you threaten to rape my girl and you want mercy?"

"I know, I'm so sorry, please."

I take advantage of his open mouth to place the barrel in, "too late." I say as I pull the trigger.

Once I'm splattered with his blood the red haze disappears and I'm thrust back into reality.

"Jace! What did you do?"

I take the bullets out of the twenty-two and then hand it to luke, "just take this please, " I say sitting down.

"Jace!" Simon repeats, why would you do that!"

"He tried to kill him!" Luke and the blond say at the same time, " and he threatened to... thanks, Jace." Luke says throwing his arms around me, I awkwardly pat his back, " as far as dads go you just got my stamp of approval forever."

"Thanks, Luke, " I say as I step out of his grasp, I'm still no closer to finding Clary and I feel so drained.

"You dodged a bullet, Wayland!" Simon says excitedly as if he wasn't just scolding me like a child. I guess since Luke says it's okay he had a change of heart.

I just killed someone, there really is no lengths I wouldn't go for her, no limits, I would do anything and it looks like I might have to.

I feel a tap on my shoulder to see the woman in front of me crying. Her green eyes are filled with tears but the green only reminds me of Clary and I have to look away.
She's holding the pictures in her hands, " whatever you need, I'll do, I just don't know how helpful I can be. My name is Lily by the way."

Well, backing me up to the cops for one will be a start, they don't take to kindly to one of their own falling and I doubt they'll believe this was in self-defense, which it was kinda sort of.

"For starters, you can tell the cops what really happened, this mad man broke into your home looking for your husband and Jace here saved you," Luke says as he pats me on the shoulder.