Chapter 35

Jonathan's POV

I slam the door behind me as I barge into Valentine's home. I don't care if I make a spectacle of myself, the only opinion I care for belongs to the girl who doesn't live here anymore. My sister, just thinking of the blood gushing from her head fills me with rage.

"Valentine! Face me now!"

"Or what?" he says walking out from the kitchen, " you're gonna huff and puff and blow my house down?"

"As long as Clary's not in it, yeah, I will."

A dry chuckle escapes from his cut lips, " you wouldn't want to do that dear son, remember I have friends, friends who have been given orders to kill my offspring should I die."

My first curl at the gun at my side before putting it back in my jacket pocket. There is only one thing I want more than to put a bullet in between those black eyes, keeping Clary safe is all that matters, it's all I have left. So if I have to refrain from ending my father's life that's the way it has to be.

There is not a single doubt in my mind that his words are anything less than true. Valentine Morgenstern is many things but he doesn't make empty threats.

"Why do you even care? She doesn't care about you."

"I care because she's the only family I have! She's my sister! You're a monster."

He chuckles again, "funny because you took orders from me, what does that make you? Didn't you try to kill the girl you so strongly try to save now?"

"You turned me into a monster, I make no excuses for my actions, I'm fully aware of the things that I have done, I'm fully aware of what I'm capable of, of what I have done. I let my longing for family turn me into someone I don't recognize nor want to. But those were choices."

I ignore his amused expression and I continue, " I can choose to change, to be somebody worthy of being her brother. The brother she deserves."

Valentine's face contorts as a wave of laughter takes over his features, "you think having this epiphany will make Clary love you? You've been stalking her for two years! Foiling every attack against her I ever make and what did she do when she saw you? She chased you, hunted you, she won't forgive you, Johnathan."

"Nor should she!" I scream, " I may never earn her forgiveness and I don't deserve to but she will have my protection."

"Do you hear yourself? She will have my protection, " he coldly mimics, " she doesn't want your protection, she doesn't want a damn thing from you but here you are sacrificing everything for her."

"What have I sacrificed exactly? My relationship with you? I'm better off with no parents than you and Jocelyn."

"I know you think that now son..."

"I'm not your son, just an ex-employee who can't stand the sight if you." I say meaning every word.

"Then why are you here?"

Clary saved my life, she opened my eyes that night. Every day after I watched her get stronger, I watched her channel her grief in that ring. I realized how much we are alike.

I watched her best guys three times her size with graceful ease, I watched her matches from the back hidden amongst the crowds. I wanted nothing more than to cheer her on from the front row. Things could be so different... I would shout, " that's my sister, " like the proud brother I am. I would take her to her favorite pizza parlor, I learned is the same one as mine.

I would help her choose what paintings and sketches to submit to universities. I would be her rock, her confidant, I would be her brother. She would come to me for advice, tell me everything as I would do the same. I could have all of this, I could have had a real family. I wouldn't need anyone else just my sister.