Chapter 24 : Investigation of the Dying Coal

Boyleland was a dying coal. That was a good metaphor for it.

Deep in that thought, I didn't notice Isaac enter the room, Professor Hastings clearing his throat at the same time.

"Grace, I need you to accompany Keith and a group of other scientists to investigate the volcano right away, as your first Ranger Mission."

I grasped the extent of this. For a first time run- this was no game. I turned to Isaac, exchanging serious glances. He had to know what was going on- in fact probably studying everything already.

"Every Ranger needs a styler, however." Professor Hastings felt for the device in his lab coat pocket, presenting me the styler, that looked very different from the one Ken or Allison had.

"A fine styler. A very expensive model of the capture styler." The Professor- the maker of stylers presented it proudly, hastily attaching it to my left wrist without warning.

"Perfect fit." Keith approved, playing with his own, pressing buttons. was that even okay? I guess so.

"Chu! Pi!" Pichu gasped in admiration. My own styler. I grazed my fingers over the capture disc ready at the front. Immediately, a robotic voice barked at me.

"Grace Glacenia, age: fourteen, height: 5'4, eyes: brown, hair: brown, partner: Pichu." I yelped and stepped back, as it took in my information.

"Now its personalized. It will no longer react to any other, besides you." Isaac spoke, all knowing and glorified with this information he gave.

"Couldn't have stated it better. The VoiceNav will guide and help you, and the browser will record Pokemon entries." Professor Hastings concluded, clapping his hands. The map of the dying coal disappeared. Time to head out.

"Let's get going. Right away." Keith got to work now, nodding to Isaac and I. The day was still young, and Boyleland, I guessed, was not around the corner.

"We'll keep in contact." Was the Professor's parting words.

~

Keith, Isaac and I made our way outside, barely sharing a word.

Keith crossed his arms, smiling at us, raising an eyebrow. "You two should be all too familiar with Staraptor riding, hmm?" We found ready Staraptor out in the front, prepared to take us all the way back to Peultown- to catch a boat ride to the island.

"Yeah, yeah." I rolled my eyes.

The ride overall was very cold, ducking our heads from the nipping wind, the Staraptor staying strong above it all.

"Peultown!" Isaac cried over the wind, wailing when we descended with a furious speed.

"Chuuuu! Piiiiiiiii!" I hugged Pichu as my stomach dropped, clinging to the Staraptor with my other hand. The drop ended quickly though, stopping us at a port.

"Thanks, Staraptor!" Keith yelled as they took off, back into the sky. Off to find somewhere warm, somewhere other than here perhaps.

"Rangers!" On the dock we were on, surrounded by cold, choppy water and boats, a tall, black haired man in a warm lab coat waved us over. "We have our ride!" It was a medium sized cruiser, the other scientists seated, bright yellow life vests already on. They all looked equally distasted.

"Trevor! These two are Isaac and Grace- Grace being a new ranger, actually." Keith introduced us right off, and we shook cold gloves with each other, but we quickly wrapped it up. "Chu. Pi." Pichu shivered, eager to get in the cabin of our boat.

"Put these on." The boat captain handed us life vests, while Keith pulled up aqualungs. "Every ranger has them, here's yours. It deoxgenates water into a breathable solution for rangers to breath." I blinked and attached the little metal mouth piece to my belt, slipping the life vest on. I hadn't been on a boat in quite a while, the waves swaying it, throwing me off balance. I hope I wouldn't have to use the aqualung after all. If I was just so lucky enough to fall.