Chapter 27 : Snowed in

"Grace, for the last time, you're okay. They took a fingernail amount of the actual shard. Return to the Union and we'll talk." I was on the cruiser now, Lucario standing bravely on the outside of the cabin I sat in. As usual, he was vigilant. A Pokemon I've never met before here to help me.

"Relax, okay. We're kicking up security at the Union, and I have a surprise for you." Isaac sighed deeply over the line and hung up. Surprises to reassure me. Make me feel better for my failure. Well, I had a surprise too, however. Lucario.

See we're fine. Lucario quietly reminded me. Right. I sighed, leaning back in the cushioned seat. Oh, what a day.

And by the way, m'lady, I can make my own passage to the Ranger Union from port.

***

Lucario was right, and fast he was. As I took a Staraptor back to the Ranger headquarters, Lucario met me soon, not even tired from clearing the many miles between the harbor to the Union.

"W-Welcome." He got quite a lot of attention, from the many Rangers posted in the front.

"Grace! You're safe that's all that mat-" Inside the Union, we walked straight into Keith, his mouth dropping when he saw Lucario.

"Why is there a Lucario?" Keith pulled me to the side, eyeing the very rare Pokemon.

I was the one who had a lot of explaining to do.

"Grace!" A familiar voice.

Keith had a lot of explaining to do as much as I did! Paul ran down the escalator, running toward me with outstretched arms.

Watch out! Lucario sprang forward, reaching a paw out to palm my friend square in the chest, stopping him in his tracks.

"Lucario! He's a friend!" I yelped. Back to me having a lot to explain.

"Um. Ouch." Paul eyed Lucario with confusion and caution now, rubbing his chest, taking a deep breath.

If you're sure. Lucario stood erect, closing his eyes. I sighed and carefully hugged my friend again this time- if that was okay.

"I... Graduated early, man, you look worn." Paul smiled brightly down at me, studying my dusty outfit, the few scratches on my arms and legs.

"Let's go to the Conference Room." Keith rolled his eyes, steering clear of Lucario.

I'm coming. Lucario spoke to me only- obviously- not worried about anything but me.

We made it upstairs. "Grace!" When Rira, in her operator's outfit, came to hug me, Lucario tensed but let her pass.

"So he doesn't punch her?" Paul was outraged by this, crossing his arms and staring Lucario down. My bodyguard didn't mind a bit however, calmly walking past me inside the Conference room.

"Grace, welcome back." Isaac, Professor Hastings, Chairperson Erma and several other people- Top Rangers I guessed, were all standing, waiting for what Hastings had to say. Lucario wasn't minded as much as I would think, but I would explain that at least, as much as me and him knew combined. Lucario told me as much as he knew on the boat ride, how he had to flee from Almia Castle and find me in the Haruba Desert, saving me in the nick of time.

"Everyone, today, we are sad to announce Team Frost Bite have the Yellow, Blue and a tiny grain of Red Shard in their possession." Chairperson Erma began. I looked at the ground, ashamed. This was my fault.

"Grace, a new Ranger, and very helpful at that, barely escaped the wreck of the Hippowdon Temple, and now she will tell us what she knows."

The spotlight was handed over, where I told everyone what happened in the temple, the confrontation between Sheer and I, and Lucario saving me, leading me back to Haruba Village, and onto a cruiser back to the mainland.