Chapter 39: Free Fall

MERRY CHRISTMAS. :D

Chapter 39

Grace

Why was it that I saw three snow mobiles carrying three people, and a large herd of many different kinds of ice types?

"Articuno stay above the clouds."

What were they after? I didn't see my familiar crew of friends nearby. I gritted my teeth.

"Articuno, stay on them."

I was going to find that out.

Ken

I slowly edged toward the end of the tunnel, looking down.

What does it look like?

Keldeo asked me unsteadily.

"It's pretty far down but the cliff face isn't that sheer. There's a slight path down, however." I gulped, feeling the first bit of the icy foot path.

I imagined it breaking on my first step- or at least breaking under Keldeo.

"Biiii." Celebi shivered with fear, while I sort of shivered in my own frustration.

We have to descend. Keldeo shot me a bold look, nodding.

After deadly silence, I nodded. "I'll go first." I simply muttered, leaving Celebi on Keldeo's back. I held my breath, taking a careful step onto a ledge below.

It went on to my direct left until I had to hop down onto the next.

"Keldeo! It's dangerous but you might be able to catch a foothold!" My voice echoed, scaring even myself.

Celebi and I are coming.

Above me, Keldeo took a careful step onto the ledge. His hooves had to cross in front of each other. It must have been hard for a non-bipedal Pokemon.

"Biii! Cele!" Celebi hovered down from Keldeo, landing on my head.

"Celebi! Don't! You'll be blown away!" I used one hand to hoist Celebi back into my jacket.

The storm eased up down here at least, probably in Team Frost Bite's favor. A slight wind slapped us against the wall every once and a while.

"If I fall, just don't fall with me." I smiled carefully down at Celebi. I'd never forgive myself if she got hurt.

Keldeo and I slowly descended, and I forced myself to look farther down than I had to. I was never that much afraid of heights, especially with Aipom forcing me into trees, and riding Staraptor, but I was still only human.

"Whoa!" I caught my breath when I kicked a chunk of ice and snow down the drop.

Careful!

Keldeo warned, peeking his concerned face down my way. I nodded once. "Right." Be more careful. Easy enough.

We kept at it, foot by foot. This was easily the most dangerous thing I had ever done. My heart raced, and my skin felt clammy.

Uh... Ken. We got company.

To make it worse, Keldeo's panicked voice filled my thoughts.

"Are you serious?" I looked way up, past Keldeo to the top of this cliff. I didn't see anything.

No!

Keldeo snapped sarcastically as if I were the stupidest person on the planet.

They're up there, looking for us. They don't know we're here, but... Feel the wall.