Chapter 25 : The Red Gem

I used the swimming skills I had to travel down into the icy water, passing sea Pokemon, heading deeper until the pressure was too much for my ears.

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiilllllllll...." In no time, I heard the muffled cries of Wailord, swimming toward Boyleland calmly. One more isolated than the others would do.

Wailord! I need your help! I shot my capture disc, surprisingly fast through water.

Movement for myself was hard, letting the disc do most of the work around this huge Pokemon.

Capture Complete. I told myself, cautiously swimming to an eye of the whale.

"Loooooooorrrrrrdddd!" It blinked at me and began to surface. I gulped and followed in its powerful wake, at least eventually catching onto its fin for a fast boost.

"Wailord!" I coughed and breathed deeply when we surfaced, its back ready for Pichu and I to get on.

"We need to get rides back to Peultown! Can you manage?" I asked with a loud yell. The Pokemon sprouted water in response, taking off at a smooth pace.

"Hold on, Pichu." The whale Pokemon was slippery, but if I balanced, I'd be fine.

"Grace!" As soon as Wailord was near the island as close as he could be, Keith was waving to me, helping an old man to a fishing boat.

Shivering, I jumped back in the water and paddled to shore. The waters were warmer, but cooling fast.

"Pichu! Keep Wailord at bay!" I called back to my small friend, as I distanced them.

"Pi! Chu!" She responded, a tiny yellow dot.

"I can't believe you did it!" Keith gave me his coat, and I trembled into it.

"Let's save everyone." Was all I could respond with.

"Everyone! Get to a boat! We're riding away on a Wailord!" Keith yelled at he top of lungs, herding the remaining people to the water. A light snow had fallen now, and looking down at my feet- the ground was slick with a layer of ice.

"Charizard! Use flamethrower!" It was lucky a few folk had fire types, fending from ice types, death wishes written on their eyes.

"Infernape, use flame wheel!"

I helped a lady and her Infernape to the water, getting in a boat.

"Mana! Chimchar! I can't find him!" As I helped the duo into the boat, a little pink haired girl nearly ran into me. The other lady, her sister perhaps, couldn't do much, sailing away toward the Wailord at the same time.

"Lana!" She cried. "Get on a boat! There's nothing you can do!" My heart felt torn. If it were Pichu... I would've stayed to help.

"Lana, I'll get you your Chimchar. Where is he?" I was a ranger now, so either way I had to try something.

The girl spoke between sobs, her brown eyes bright with tears.

"He.. H-He disappeared in the Volcano! I'm scared!" I kneeled down, putting my hands on her shoulders.

"Sweety, I will do my best to save your friend, but you need to get on that Wailord, he's really nice." I smiled best I could, and the girl nodded. "Okay. You promise?" Then, she hugged me, despite how soaked I was.

"I promise."

I had to find that Chimchar.

Running back to the volcano, past the open houses that had been abandoned in a rush, I found my self in the volcano- its heat dying down, left and right fire types were frozen in hunks of ice.