Chapter Fifty Six

Arnav and Khushi didn't waste another moment and quickly got ready. Aryan had contacted the police and according to the police commissioner, there were only three orphanages outside the west of the town. Shyam and Anjali decided to help by going to one of them, as well as Aryan. Shalini wanted to help too, but they told her to stay behind and keep watch of Ahana. Of course she fussed, but they eventually convinced her to stay behind.

The police commissioner arrived to Raizada mansion and offered to escort Arnav and Khushi to one of the orphanages. After contacting the orphanages, one of them seemed more likely to be the one holding their son, so the commissioner would take them there. The others would check out the other two just in case their lead didn't work.

Both Arnav and Khushi got into the car and followed behind the commissioner's car. They sped through town, everyone moving out of the way at the sound of the sirens. It took quite some time before they reached the west end of the town. Following the commissioner down the road, Khushi prayed that they would find their son, safe and sound.

Eventually they arrived to the orphanage and the owner came out, looking at them with confusion.

The commissioner went up to the owner and began asking her questions. Arnav and Khushi had just stepped out of the car, when Shyam called Arnav on his phone. He let them know that the orphanage he and Anjali had gone to did not received a baby boy at that time. It somewhat satisfied the couple, marking one of three locations off, but neither would be in peace until they had their son in their arms.

"...um, yes, we did," the couple overheard the owner say. "As a matter of fact, we had two boys and a girl arrive to the orphanage four months ago."

Khushi dashed forward to the woman, Arnav following behind her. "You have my son? Please tell me that you do, did anyone adopt him?"

"None of the three were adopted-"

"Take me to him please! Return him to me!"

"Mrs. Raizada, please, relax," the commissioner said. "We'll find him and return him to you, just relax."

"I would be more than happy to help," the owner said. "No children deserves to be abandoned, nor stolen from their parents. Please, come with me."

The woman led them into the orphanage. It was actually just a simple, cute, little house, off the road. When Khushi got inside, she could see how child-friendly the home was. She could hear a few of the children singing and laughing, but it did nothing to calm her heart.

"Most of these children were abandoned on my doorstep. Some were found by others and brought here," the owner explained.

"How were the three infants from four months ago discovered," the commissioner asked.

"The girl was found by the gas station four miles up ahead. One of the boys was dropped off at my door, and the other was... left by a dumpster," she said sadly.

Khushi gasped and Arnav placed his hands on her shoulder.

"It's a good thing I was in town that day; I found him myself."

The owner led them through her home and led them into a nursery. Many cribs surrounded the yellow room, reminding Arnav and Khushi of their son's room, back home. After loosing him, neither had courage to go into that room.