Chapter 23~Big steps

{Joe's POV}

I was going to my first party since my parents had died. Ok, I can do this. No, I can't. Yes, I can. Oh, I don't know. I was very happy and thankful that Dianne was going to be by my side it meant that if anything happened or I needed to go there would be someone there to help me. I was going to get ready for the party as was Dianne. She said I couldn't see her until she was ready. She always looks beautiful in anything she wears. I was just wearing my usual leather jacket with some jeans.

 I was just wearing my usual leather jacket with some jeans

Dianne was wearing a short black dress with a denim jacket.

Like I said she always looks beautiful whatever she wears. Whether that pjs or when she dresses up like this.

J-"You look gorgeous"
D-"Do you really think that"
J-"Of course I do have you seen yourself"

Dianne smiled which put an even bigger smile on my face.

D-"You look very handsome"
J-"Shall I do a twirl"
D-"Yeah"

I twirled around whilst Dianne was giggling.

D-"Even doing that you still looked handsome"
J-"Why thank you"

We laughed and I pulled Dianne in for a kiss.

D-"Adisha should be here soon so we can go"
J-"Okay"
M-"Oooo where are you guys going"
E-"You look nice," Eponiné said in a silly voice.

I ran up to Eponiné and lifted her into the air and I spun her around until she was giggling uncontrollably. Her smile reached her eyes and the sound of her giggle reached the clouds. I turn to look at Dianne who was smiling with tears in her eyes.

J-"Come here you two"

Macklynn and Dianne came over and hugged me. I had Eponiné in my arms looking up at me. Eponiné wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me as she did she whispered. "Thank you we love you" When she said that I hugged all three of them tighter.

There was a knock on the door so I put Eponiné down and she and Macklynn ran downstairs to answer it. Dianne and I slowly followed after them.

M-"Adisha"
A-"Hey girls"

Adisha picked up Eponiné and hugged Macklynn.

A-"So how long will you be out"
D-"I have no idea"
A-"That's fine I'm free all today and tomorrow so if you stay out it's fine and besides I love looking after these two munchkins"
Macklynn and Eponiné laughed.
J-"Thank you"
A-"No problem now you two go and have fun"
D-"Ok we're going"

{Macklynn's POV}

Joe and Dianne left and we had, had our dinner and watched a film and now Adisha was putting Eponiné to bed. I waited for her at the door.

A-"Hey what's up"
M-"Can I talk to you about something"
A-"Yeah, of course, you can what's up"
M-"Eponiné nearly called Joe dad"
A-"Yeah"
M-"But I don't know what to do about it"
A-"There's nothing to be done about it"
M-"What do you mean"
A-"Answer these questions"
M-"Ok"
A-"who has been there for you the most, your dad or Joe"
M-"Joe"
A-"Who has been in your life for the shortest amount of time"
M-"Joe"
Adisha nodded.
A-"Macklynn it's not about who's been in your life the longest it's who's had the greatest impact and Joe has had an extremely positive impact on you girls so if Eponiné starts to call Joe dad don't tell her off or correct her let her call him that because..."
M-"What"

Adisha has a serious and sympathetic expression on her face.

A-"Because he's been more of a father to you girls than your dad ever has and probably ever will be"
M-"Joe honestly has been the best since he's arrived and Eponiné would be lucky to be able to call him dad"
A-"So your not going to call him dad"
M-"Well I don't call Dianne mum so it would just be weird but I want him to know that he is the father figure that I look up to and love as is Dianne my mother figure"
A-"Okay"
M-"Ok"

Adisha and I went downstairs. She went to the toilet. So I went and sat on the window seat in the kitchen. I looked out at the rain that was pouring down. It rolled down the window like tears on a face. It was weirdly calming and peaceful.

A-"Macklynn where are you"
Adisha found me and came to sit next to me.
A-"Are you ok"
M-"Yeah I think so"
A-"What's on your mind"
M-"I suppose Joe being our sort of new dad has made me realise how much my actual dad has given up on me and never really loved me"

Adisha nodded and put her hand on my leg to comfort me.

M-"How can someone you've never really met hurt you so bad" Tears rolled down my face and copied the pattern the rain was making on the window. Adisha wiped my tears.
A-"It's ok to cry"
M-"..."
A-"Some people have weird ways of loving people and sometimes that results in hurting the person they love"
M-"My dad doesn't love me I've never really met him or spoke to him... I see the other kids dads in my school pick them up and take them to the park my dad has never done that he's never done anything for me"
A-"I know sweetie"
M-"Thank you... for everything Adisha"
A-"It's my job but I do really like you girls"
M-"Are we your favourite family"
A-"Maybe"
M-"I'll take that as a yes"
We both laughed.
A-"I think it's your bedtime"
M-"I don't think it is"
A-"Urmm I think it is"
M-"No I don't think it is"
Adisha walked me up the stairs to my room.
M-"I still don't think it's my bedtime"
A-"Well I do so get in there"
M-"Ughh"

I got ready for bed and Adisha tucked me in. After what felt like years I finally fell into a long slumber.

{Dianne's POV}

Joe and I set off to the party. I really was so proud of him for coming tonight I couldn't believe it when he agreed to come.
D-"I'm so proud of you for coming"
J-"Really"
D-"Yes this is a super big step and I just want you to know whatever happens tonight I will remain very proud"
J-"Even if I leave in the first 10 minutes"
D-"Yes"
J-"Ok... I'm really nervous"
D-"I can tell"
J-"You can"
D-"Well your shaking"
J-"Oh yeah"
D-"Joe look at me"
Joe turned and his blue eyes sparkled in the sunset.
D-"You've got this and I'm going to be by your side and I know that's not going to take away the memories or the pain but if you need to leave you to tell me and just remember that I love you and I know you can do this"
J-"Thank you so much"
Joe lifted up my chin so I was looking directly into his eyes. He slowly pressed his soft lips on mine and he gently whispered "I love you" between the kisses.

We carried on walking to Toff's house for the party.

J-"How far away is Toff's house"
D-"Not that far we're nearly there"
J-"Ok good"