Nagahama Neru [IV]

Walking into the room exhausted from the long day at work, Nagahama expects to see Hirate laying on the bed waiting for her like usual but the bed was empty today instead. She continues to walk to the washroom thinking that Hirate would just happen to be using the toilet but also to find it empty instead.

She returns to the bed, sat down and took out her phone to call Hirate but was disappointed to see Hirate's phone vibrating on the side table. She finds it very weird that Hirate left her phone at home as she usually isn't so careless. 

Deciding that it would be useless for her to pace around and worry about Hirate, she decided to cook some food while waiting for Hirate to return. Turning her head to the side of the room, she notices the Otter that Hirate brought back the other day was looking at her with interest.

Hirate has always love otters since she was said to look like them a lot hence taken a liking to those cute fluffy water sausages. When she brought home the otter the other day, Nagahama was beyond shocked as Hirate was holding the poor otter by the neck as she walked in with her excited expression. 

Nagahama later then knew that the otter was from her friend who gave it to her as a gift as her own otter gave birth to these babies and the way that Hirate held the otter was perfectly safe. Hirate actually went through all the effort to build a huge playground for that little guy so that he would have enough place to run around and play. 

Knowing that Hirate loves this otter so much, Nagahama decided to feed the otter first since Hirate might not be around the entire day to feed this poor guy. Pouring the food that Hirate prepared into the bowl, Nagahama was wondering why the little otter wasn't eating but looking at her instead. 

Thinking that the otter was just curious to see someone new, Nagahama went ahead to make her own dinner since she was hungry as well. Waiting till late night but there was no news from Hirate and that made Nagahama more anxious the longer she waited and went ahead to call her friends to check on her whereabouts but nobody knows where the younger girl is.

She walks dejectedly to the otter who was still staring at her and was shocked to see the food that she put in earlier was still intact. She wasn't sure if the otter was sick, she decided to carry the otter out to take a better look at him. When the otter was carried out and placed on her arm, he immediately circled around her and snuggle close to her.

Nagahama smiled at the otter's actions as she watches what the otter does. Hours passed from when she started playing with the otter but Hirate still showed no sign or returning and it was already near midnight. 

"Yurina... Where are you?" Nagahama mumbled to herself

The otter seems to have understood what she was saying and immediately tried to catch her attention. Thinking that the otter was just being playful and is trying to catch her attention, she immediately went ahead and tickle the little guy on his tummy with made the otter more excited and hop onto Hirate's phone pointing his head at the phone.

Nagahama seems to have caught on and covered her mouth with her hand "No way... Yurina... Are you in there?" she asked in shock

The otter hopped onto the bed and nodded

"What in the world?!" Nagahama shouted

"Neru"

"Eh Yurina? Did you just talk?"

"Neru!"

"..."

"Neru Wake up!"

Her eyes snapped open and saw Hirate looking at her.

"You're finally up, you know how long I tried to wake you up?" Hirate said with a smile

"Oh... It was all a dream" Nagahama mumbled to herself

"What dream? You had a  nightmare?" Hirate ask worriedly

"No no... just a very weird dream" She answered as she glances at the otter who was sleeping peacefully 

"Oh okay... I'll go prepare breakfast" Hirate replied and left the room

"What a weird dream... Why did I even dream of Yurina becoming an otter" Nagahama question herself as she covered her face with her hands and shook her head

She walks closer to the enclosure of the otter and looks at the otter inside the enclosure and sigh catching the attention of the little guy inside. The otter woke up and walk closer to her and Nagahama apparently saw a wink from the otter and gasped.

"I think I'm seeing things" Nagahama said as she rubs her eyes

"I see you made friend with Techi" Hirate said and hug Nagahama from the back

"Techi?" Nagahama asked

"Yup, I named him Techi" Hirate replied

"You named him after your own nickname?!" Nagahama asked again

"What's wrong with that?" Hirate asked curiously

"Nothing actually... but I had a weird dream yesterday that you became him and now you are telling me he is named after you..." Nagahama said confusedly

"Wait what? I became an otter?" Hirate asked before bursting out in laughter

"Don't laugh! You know how afraid I was in that dream?" Nagahama said as she smacks Hirate on her arms

"Okay okay, now tell me what happened in your dream, I want to know so badly" Hirate said with a goofy smile

Calming down, Nagahama proceeds to tell the entire dream to Hirate who was staring at her with interest like what the otter did in her dream and of course laughing out once in a while. 

"I can't believe looking like an otter would make you dream of me actually becoming one" Hirate said and laugh