𝒊𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒈𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈

Forgotten_23 is my 400th voter on this story! Thank you so much for spamming with votes and thank you all for giving me stars.

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

Pearl had informed the police department of the new bust in the case and the Delmarva's detectives had proceeded to take on the work. Nothing much has happened besides posters of the missing girl that were plastered around the city.

Thankfully, when Peridot had traced where the call was taken, she had the exact coordinates. Unfortunately, not being part of authority, it was illegal and she could not tell the cops the clues she knew. The call was taken at a cheap local diner. And that's exactly where Garnet and Peridot had went.

"Has anybody seen this girl?" Peridot questioned a hostess.

"I haven't, no." She frowned, tangling her fingers into each other's embrace.

"Bullshi-"

A hand clasped over her mouth, silencing the curses Peridot was about to spill. Garnet looked down at her with an intimidating gaze and calmly turned back to the girl.

"Has any other of your coworkers have?" Garnet asked, "This is really important."

The blue haired girl timidly looked between the two and bit her lip. She asked for the paper Peridot had teared down somewhere and disappeared beyond sight. Sooner than later, she came back with one of her team members.

The new girl, once in vision of the two, then wondered, "Why do you ask?"

"The girl missing is this ones girlfriend." Garnet explained, her hand still above her mouth. "We've been really worried about her. She hasn't come home in weeks."

Underneath Garnets grasp, Peridots face had flushed a bright magenta. Her eyes were green, wide, and hazy. She didn't dare to move away from her friends arms, though. Garnet was very strong, and ever since seeing those dumbbells in her duffel bag, Peridot did not want to tick her off.

"I waited on her." The girl said reluctantly, then raised an eyebrow, "Shouldn't the cops be questioning me instead of you two?"

"We are cops." Garnet stated bluntly. "And believe it or not, I am the bad cop."

This seemed to send chills down the employees spine and she apologized. "She was with this big guy with a skin discoloration. He was actually really mean. He would slam his hand on the table whenever he got mad. She seemed to be really scared, honestly."

"Did you happen to hear where he was taking her?"

"No, but he did say something along the lines of a cabin..." She said, which was more of a question to her memory than a statement.

"Is there anything else you noticed that we should be aware of?" Garnet took her hands off of Peridot, who was now quiet and hopeful, and placed her hands on her hips.

"Not that I..." The girl paused and took a second to think. "Well, he did pull her out of the diner and into a orange mustang."

Garnet nodded and said thanks before they both walked out of the place and into Lapis's car. Making sure they didn't get caught for impersonating a cop, they drove out of there as fast and as stealthy as possible and into a gas station to grab a cheap cup of hot coffee.

Before they started to discuss about the knowledge they were given, Garnet decided to place an anonymous tip to the local police station so they wouldn't seem suspicious.

"Orange mustangs are not common at all." Garnet said to Peridot. "He must've gotten it painted himself."

Peridot nodded, though she didn't know anything about vehicles. "So what do we do? Go around cabins and see if we can spot a orange car?"

Garnet gave a nod herself, "And ask some sort of receptionist if a Jasper is renting a cabin. Look up some rental cabins locations."

Doing what she was told, she had found three separate cabin businesses. One of the three was a private and expensive cot rental, while the other two didn't have any sort of security devices protecting the renters. Surely, Jasper wouldn't have paid so much for being under secure watch, right?

With the GPS on, Garnet drove through a rental neighborhood until the sunlight started to diminish. The cabins outstretched for miles and were covered by both winter snow and fir trees. The car kept skidding against the icy road and they had to slowly drive to not crash or get stuck. None of this made the process any easier to find Lapis quickly.

"We're so close to finding her." Peridot whispered, twiddling her thumbs. "I can feel it."

She didn't want Garnet to call off the search yet, what if they were just a house away when they decided to turn back and begin tomorrow in a different area? What if tonight she was suffering and was close to death? What if she was already dead?

No. Peridot firmly thought to herself. She's strong. She'll be fine. We're going to save her. I'm going to save her.

"What time does the reception center close?" Garnet questioned.

Peridot, after searching, said, "Nine."

Once they were at the end of this street without noticing any orange mustangs, they turned back to the entrance of the cabin rentals vicinity. When they made it upon there, they parked the blue beetle and entered the little building.

"Hi. How may I help you?" Smiled the girl behind the counter.

"We were wondering if you have seen this girl." Garnet slid the missing persons poster towards her.

The receptionist frowned, worry sewn in her brows. "I..." She trailed off.

"She is suspected to be with a man named Jasper Wilson. Have you seen him?" Peridot brought out her phone and showed her a photo she screenshotted from the colleges website giving information about the football team.

The girl squirmed and looked around, searching to see if anybody was around. Then, she looked down and twiddled her fingers. "Well, it-it's confidential."

"Ma'm." Peridot stepped in, having to almost stand on the tips of her toes to look her in the eye over the counter. "This girl could be loosing her life right now." She choked, but didn't back down. "You are our hope. Please."

"I-" The cabin concierge stuttered, "I... I'll see what I can do."

✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰ ✰

(Words: 1050)