Chapter 20 - You'll Be Okay

It had been three days and Wanda hadn't moved. Clint tried to get her to eat, but she refused every time. The doctors had removed all the bullets and had put Pietro in the Regeneration Cradle. Once his tissue was replaced, he was laid on the bed once more. No one talked to Wanda. A nurse had taken her blood since Pietro would need a transfusion when he woke up, but other than that they seemed to forget she was there. She blocked out all her thoughts after having broken her own heart. After the thought of this all being her fault crept into her mind, she shut all her thoughts out. Pietro would tell her it wasn't her fault, and she would believe him. She had to pretend that's what happened to stop herself from going mad.

The room was empty, as the doctors left him to rest. The only thing giving Wanda any hope at this point was the steady beeping of the heart monitor. Clint came in to check on her, as he did every day.

"Still kicking, kid?"

"You could say that. I just need to hold on until I find out if he's gone or not."

"He's gonna make it, kid. He has a good reason to stay." She would smile at him, but they would both know it was fake. "Feel like eating yet?"

"Nope" She stated.

"Okay think of this," Clint started, "What would he say if he found out you were starving yourself?" She didn't have an answer to that. A doctor walked in to check all the monitors.

"Hey, when is the estimated wake up time?" The wording almost made Wanda laugh.

"At least another 6 hours." She said uncertainly. She turned to Wanda. "I'm not making any promises. "

"You heard the doc. Come on, I'll make you something." When she didn't move, he added, "The living room is just down the hall. That's where the kitchen is too." She sighed. If it was just down the hall, what harm could it do?

"Okay..."

He took her to the living room where Stark, Steve, and Natasha were sitting. She walked slowly and carefully. Nobody told her what to do, so she didn't know what to do. They all stopped and looked at her. She stopped and turned around. "Hey," Clint caught her arm before she could leave. "No one's gonna kill you." He joked. But Wanda didn't see that way.

"Do you want us to leave?" Natasha said sweetly. Wanda didn't move. Should she nod, should she shake her head, she didn't know. She just stood there. Clint nodded at them and they got up, Natasha putting her hand on the girl's shoulder as she walked by. Wanda flinched at the sudden contact.

"Come on, sit down." There. An instruction. She walked over to the kitchen and sat down at the bar. "You don't have to move like that."

"Like what?"

"Like you're walking through a minefield." He chuckled as he took out a pot. She took a deep breath. If she was going to live here, she shouldn't be so uptight. "Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why are you so careful?" She looked down. If Pietro didn't make it, she would need someone who would understand.

"I'm often afraid to do something wrong," She started timidly, "So unless I'm told to do something, I don't really know what to do. I hide, a lot. I often just do what Pietro does, unless someone tells me to do otherwise."

"That's why you sat down quickly." He stated.

"Yeah...I don't do anything until someone tells me too. I don't speak unless I'm spoken too-"

"I get it. You're just anxious." She thought for a moment.

"I suppose you could say that." He sighed as he poured some pasta into the boiling water on the stove.

"You don't have to be. I mean, not here. There isn't much you could wrong. Nobody here hates you, trust me."

"Maybe not, but they're afraid of me."

"How do you know?" She looked down.

"I hear their thoughts." She said quietly.

"I see. They're just a little wary, that's all." He stirred the pot. "You'll be okay here." She looked down again. Was she going to be okay here?

"What could I do, that would be wrong?" She asked.

He chuckled. "Not much, kid." He poured the pasta into a strainer and put it on a plate. "You don't have to be so careful." He said again, pouring Alfredo on the plate. He set in front of her with a fork. She stared down at it, not really hungry. He sighed and said, "You can eat."

She gave a shy smile and ate. He stayed with her, making sure she actually ate. When she finished, she just sat there, staring at the wall. "I'll be right back." Clint left the room, toward the way they came in. She didn't move. She looked around, at all the expensive furniture. She thought about going to sit on a couch. Clint said she couldn't do anything wrong. She was fine sitting on the stool, but maybe she should try doing something on her own. She took a deep breath and slowly stood up. She made her way over to an armchair and sat on the arm. She sat there breathing slowly. She quickly got up and walked down the hall to the medical ward. No, she didn't like doing things herself after all. She sat in the corner. Now, she was okay. She was by herself, listening to the steady beeping of the heart monitor.

Clint came in after a while and looked down at her with pity.

"I saw the security footage." He stated. She looked down.

"I'm sorry." She whispered.

"No, you see, you shouldn't be. You wouldn't even sit on the cushion! Who would get upset with you for sitting on an armchair?"

"I'm not sure..."

"Exactly. Here," He walked over to her and stuck out his hand. She put her hand in his and he pulled her up.

"What are we doing?"

"Sitting on the couch."

He led her to the living room and stopped in front of the living area. "Sit down."

She sat down.

"Now, I will be right back." He said slowly. She sat there, rigid. She sat for 10 minutes and Clint didn't come back. Then she realized. He wanted to see if she would leave on her own. She took a few deep breaths before standing up and walking carefully over to the medical ward. Clint was standing in her corner, smirking. "There we go. That's a start."

She let out a breath and went to sit in the shadows. Maybe Clint would help her get over this.

"Budu v pořádku. (I'll be okay)"

__________________________________

Hey guys! All is well now that the last chapter is over😪

Let me know what you think!

Talk Later,

-Harmony✨