Chapter 34 - Light at the End of the Tunnel

Wanda woke up that night not to a dream, but to the sound of rain beating on the window. She got up and quietly walked through the house to the front porch. It was a nice night, save for the rain. It wasn't very cold out and there wasn't any wind. She went and sat on the front steps, sheltered by the roof. She stared out at the edge of the forest beside the house. She didn't know what she was looking at, but she didn't look away.

"Wanda?" She whirled around. Clint was leaning against the door frame. "What are you doing?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

"You didn't," He walked over and sat next to her. "I was already up."

"What time is it?" She asked, confused.

"About three."

"Oh," She knew better than to ask what he was doing up at three in the morning.

"You know, you didn't answer the question" He pointed out. She chuckled.

"I'm just sitting"

"Mind if I ask why?"

"I don't know," She said thoughtfully.

"Don't you think you should sleep? I mean, I'm no one to tell you to, but I have a feeling Pietro wouldn't be happy."

"No, he wouldn't. But that's okay. I like it out here."

"Wanda, were you asleep before you came out here?" She nodded. "Were you dreaming?"

"I don't think so." He nodded.

"Do you mind if I ask why you're up?" She said slowly.

"I don't sleep much, either. I suppose I'm used to staying up and training or going over case files." Wanda nodded. She had looked in his head a few minutes ago: he had nightmares. "The difference here is that you should sleep."

"Shouldn't you, too?" He looked down.

"I don't want you to end up like me."

"What's wrong with you?"

"Well," He thought for a moment. "I suppose I'm often paranoid. I'm always watching my back as if someone's gonna break it." She frowned.

"That doesn't sound too bad" He sighed.

"I had a rough childhood. You did too. But you're still young. You don't have to live like that anymore." He looked up at her. "I won't let you live like that anymore."

"You aren't bad, Clint, and I'm living just fine."

"You don't eat, you don't sleep and you're too scared to do anything yourself." He stated. "I wouldn't call that fine." She looked down. "Wanda, you've had it rough since the start. You have plenty of reasons to act the way you do. But that part of your life is over. You made it to the end of the tunnel." She looked up when she heard someone clear their throat behind them.

"Hey, kid" Clint slid over on the stairs so Pietro could sit down next to Wanda.

"Is there a reason you're up so early?" He asked.

"Nope, not really."

"Do you always wake up at four in the morning?"

"Well, technically I've been up since two, and Wanda's been out here since three."

"Why?"

"Couldn't sleep," Wanda told him.

"Were you dreaming?" He asked, realizing he actually might not have heard her.

"No." He frowned. "Well, why are you up?"

"Heard voices outside." He told her.

"And now you're here." She leaned on him.

"Are you not cold?" He asked them.

"I'm not. Don't know about her." Wanda shook her head.

"I like it out here," She said. They all sat there in silence until eventually, Wanda fell asleep on her brother. He put his arm around her to keep her from falling.

"Why are you guys sitting out here?" He asked Clint again.

"Told you, we couldn't sleep." Pietro raised an eyebrow. "Really, I came downstairs when I heard the door open and she was sitting here." Pietro nodded and looked down at her.

"You were talking about a tunnel. What tunnel?"

"It was metaphorical. I was talking about all the pain in your lives, and how it's done now." Pietro looked at him with confusion plastered on his features. "You two will be okay from now on. I promise you, it's over." He nodded.

"I believe you"

Je konec... (It's over)

__________________________

Hey guys! This one is waaaayyyyy too short, but the next one will be up soon.

Let me know what you think!

Talk later,

-Harmony✨