Chapter 43 - The Past is in the Past

After about an hour of Bucky pushing Wanda around the park, they stopped under the same tree they had sat under the day Bruce came. Bucky helped Wanda sit on the ground, leaning against the tree. They sat and watched as some kids threw stones into the lake. Wanda smiled.

"Pietro used to try and teach me to skip stones like that," Bucky turned to face her. "I could never do it" She laughed lightly.

"I remember trying to teach my sisters. They never got it either," Wanda laughed.

"They used to have an annual competition in Sokovia, and the winner got lots of money. Otec (Father) used to practice with Pietro every day for two months leading up to the competition, hoping he would win us the money." She told him.

"Did he ever do it?"

"No," She sighed. "There was one American boy, Reese, who would always win. His father and uncle were the judges, so we like to say he cheated." She smiled. "But it was always frustrating. Their family had so much money, they didn't need any more."

"You didn't have much money?"

"No. Father was a carpenter and lost his job when we were seven. And Mother was a florist, but when the war started, the fields started dying, and there were no more flowers." Bucky nodded looking down. "We weren't poor though, we had food and water, and an apartment. I never minded. Father used to tell Pietro that one day, he would find a good job, and buy a nice house for him and his family. And that I would become a famous baker who would bake for the kids. And we would both have better lives." She smiled.

"You like baking?" Bucky smiled.

"I loved baking. I was horrible at it, but Pietro would always eat everything I made anyway. Then he would convince Matka and Otec to try it, and they would tell me it was better than the bakery across the street."

"My mother used to force me to bake. My family said I was great at it, and eventually, I purposely made everything horrible, so they wouldn't make me do it again." Wanda laughed.

"Did it work?"

"Not one bit." She laughed again. "Mother knew I was doing it on purpose, and I was in even more trouble. I had to clean out father's Livewell for weeks."

"Serves you right," She teased.

"I regret nothing. I'd rather clean out the Livewell than bake." He chuckled.

"Whatever is wrong with you, is no little thing," They laughed.

-------------------------------------

When they got back to the compound, Steve and Tony were standing in the living room, arguing again.

"For God's sake," Bucky muttered, helping Wanda out of the wheelchair.

" And now, all it takes now is one tiny mistake, and it's over. Done."

"Why is that my fault?"

"You won't sign! He's giving us one more chance, don't blow it." Tony turned on his heel and went straight to the lab as Wanda sat down on the couch. Steve ran his hand through his hair.

"Are you okay?" Wanda asked while Bucky went to return the wheelchair to the Medical Ward.

"Yeah. The government is just being a little unreasonable."

"The government?"

"The government thinks," He started, sitting across from her. "That the Avengers make more of a mess than save people."

"We made a mess?"

"Well, we did destroy Sokovia. And made a disaster in New York and Washington."

"So, they would rather you don't save anyone?"

"Honestly, that's what it sounds like." Wanda frowned. "I'm gonna go train." He stood up.

"Is that all you ever do?" Wanda teased.

"Yes," Steve joked, walking away.

"What's wrong?" Bucky asked when he came back.

"The government thinks the Avengers are making a mess. That's why Steve and Stark are arguing," She frowned.

"The doesn't make much sense." He sat down across from her, where Steve had been sitting.

"I know. Stark said we have one more chance. I don't know for what."

"I'm sure they'll hold a meeting if it's that important." She nodded.

Ještě jedna šance...

______________________________

Hey guys! I'm gonna let you guess what the last phrase is😈

Thank you so so much to Hikari_Takeru for suggesting that Bucky and Wanda share stories of their lives before HYDRA!!!

Let me know what you think!

Talk later,

-Harmony✨