Chapter 39 - Should've Listened

Pietro sat on a plastic chair in the medical ward, beside the bed where Wanda was lying. She had a large gash going all the way from her right shoulder, across her stomach, to her left hip. Dr. Cho was convinced she'd live, it would just take a long time to heal. The placement of the cut made it so they couldn't even use the Cradle to replace the tissue. All they could do was stitch her up and monitor her.

Pietro refused to leave. All he could think about was that he didn't listen to her. She told him something bad would happen and he didn't believe her. He often wondered if this was how Wanda had felt during the week he was lying here, unconscious. It made him feel even worse, that he had put her through that. It definitely wasn't fun.

Clint and Bucky spent a lot of time in there, as well. Clint was just happy Pietro was more willing to eat than Wanda was. He brought him dinner every night since he wouldn't come out and eat with everyone else. No one really talked at dinner anyway. They were all too guilt-stricken to even watch the Kardashians during the day. They did a lot more training, trying to get out their frustrations in the most healthy way they could.

Pietro's main reason for staying with Wanda was her nightmares. He knew when he was with her they didn't come as often and weren't as bad. She slept most of the time, but when she was awake, she cried. The doctors wanted to give her morphine, but she refused. He knew it made her nightmares worse after the first day they used it, but he would rather have to calm her down every time she woke up than have her in pain. It didn't take long for Pietro to calm her down enough to sleep, but he wished it didn't take as long as it did. He hated seeing her just lying there, with tears streaming down her face.

He often kept his hand on her shoulder when she slept, since the first night she had sprung up when she woke up, resulting in her screaming in pain. He tried to convince her to let them give her the morphine, even for one night, but she would just shake her head.

Bucky would come in often, bringing the guitar with him. He would sit by Pietro and play for her when she couldn't fall asleep, or when she woke up from a nightmare. He also hated having to see her like that. She was just lying there, not being able to move or even speak. It would be easy to mistake her for a dead girl when she was sleeping. Clint brought her tea every day, even though she only ever drank have of it. She would have a few sips of soup a day, too, much to Clint's relief.

But other than that, she just laid there. Either sleeping or staring at the wall, crying. Every day Dr. Cho would come in herself to check the wound and replace the bandages. She usually came in around lunchtime, unless Wanda was awake. She would only change the bandages if she was asleep, not wanting her to be in even more pain. Every day was the same, and Pietro couldn't even remember how long he had been there.

Wanda woke up with a jolt, stopping when Pietro pushed her down.

"Hey," He said gently, "You're okay" He sat down on the bed beside her and took her hand. "You're alright" She took a deep breath and relaxed. Cho came in and smiled at her.

"Good morning," She said sweetly. "I checked your wound yesterday, and it's healing nicely. I thought maybe you might want to try sitting up today?" Wanda looked skeptical, but Pietro gave her an encouraging smile. He moved out of the way so the doctor could help her up. She shut her eyes tightly as Cho pulled her up. When she was sitting up straight, she pushed a button on the side of the bed that raised the top part.

"Okay, you can sit back now," She told her "Good job, I'll come check up on you again later" She smiled at both of them before leaving again. Pietro sat back down in the chair beside the bed.

"There. You're already sitting up. You'll be better in no time" He told her, "But you'd probably be feeling better now if you let them give you the morphine" He sighed as she shook her head. She was already crying. "I can get Bucky to come play for you. Or Clint can make some tea?" She nodded, making him smile. "I'll be right back" He hurried to the living room, where everyone was sitting around and eating.

"Bucky, Clint you're being requested." He announced.

"Us or the guitar and tea?" Bucky joked.

"Maybe both" Clint chuckled.

"Be right there" Clint got up to start the kettle.

Wanda was reading a book when Pietro got back. She smiled at him and set it down. He was starting to not like when she smiled at him, he knew it was fake. If the tears didn't give it away, it was in her eyes.

"Bucky and Clint are coming to see you," He told her. She nodded. He sat there for a few minutes, rubbing circles on the back of her hand until Bucky came in with the guitar. He sat in the chair beside Pietro.

"Hey," He said quietly as he sat down. He had gotten used to talking to her quietly after the first few nights when she was getting headaches. "I learned a new song today," He told her. He started playing as Clint came in with a mug. He handed it to Wanda and sat at the end of the bed. By the end of the song, Wanda had fallen asleep again. Bucky smiled.

"That was a good song," Pietro said.

"Thanks"

"How is she?" Clint asked.

"Well, as you can see she's sitting up higher." He told them, "Cho says she doing good"

"Do we know how much longer until it's fully healed?" Bucky asked. Pietro shook his head.

"She'd be feeling better if she would just let them give her the morphine"

"Well, clearly she would rather be in pain than have nightmares. I mean, we don't know what she sees at night" Clint pointed out.

"I suppose"

"She'll be okay," Bucky said, sounding more like he was trying to convince himself rather than Pietro.

Bude v pořádku... (She'll be okay)

________________________

Hey guys! This chapter like...is really bad. I would try and fix it, but I really don't want to😅

Let me know what you think!

Talk Later,

-Harmony✨