Whispers

Bella's POV

"Cute"

I was getting ready to leave but stopped to put my hair in a bun when I heard him whisper under his breath. I don't think he meant for me to hear it and I don't think it was meant for me anyways so I chose to ignore it. I checked the weather on my phone and saw it was warmer than this morning and decided to leave my hoodie off. I slung it over my arm and put my phone in my pocket. I looked up at him and waved. "Bye Auggie!" I froze. He looked at me for about 2 seconds before waving at me. "Goodbye Arabella" I quickly walked out of the room and closed the door behind myself.

I leaned up against the door and closed my eyes. The way my name fell off his lips. I think about it for a couple more seconds before softly slapping my forehead. I can't believe I called him auggie. But then again he didn't seem too bothered by it. Maybe he likes his new nickname. I'll call him it again on Tuesday and see what happens.
-
August's POV

It's been far too long without my sweet nurse. She's only known me for a couple days but knows how to deal with me. She knows what to do when certain things happen. She's clearly been doing this for a long time. I don't know if I'd rather have her as a night nurse or as a day nurse but tomorrow is Tuesday. She'll be back by the time I wake up and all will be right in this fucked up world.
-
Bella's POV

Tuesday morning.

I wake up around 5:30. I finally get to go back to work. As much as I love days off, I love taking care of people. I miss my patients.

I take a shower and wrap a towel around myself while searching for a bra and underwear. I pull on my grey 'sunshine valley' scrubs and my black shoes. I grab my phone, keys, purse, and my "grow up" cactus water bottle.

-I arrive at work around 6:50 and go straight to my locker

-
I arrive at work around 6:50 and go straight to my locker. I put my belongings into my locker and make my way to my floor. "Hi Miss Arabella! The patient in room 23 needs your attention. She said you were the only one who could help" I nod at the doctor and head to room 23. "Hello, Carolyn. The doctor said you needed help?" She nods at me and begins to explain the situation. Which wasn't a situation at all. She just wanted to talk. She thinks I work too hard and too much. I explain to her that I love my job and it's not too much work. She still tells me to take it easy and I promise her I will before telling her that I need to check on my other patients but I will be back later.
-
After checking on all my patients from my floor and popping back into carolyn's room I make my way up to floor 3 to see August.

As I'm making my way up there I remind myself not to be too hurt if he doesn't like the nickname. I keep telling myself this right up until I get to the door. When I go to open it I hear a female voice and then a laugh.

He's never laughed with me.

I back away from the door and get ready to leave but I tell myself that he is still my patient and I'm required to take care of him. I put on my big girl face and walk to the door before softly pushing it open. I see Clare sitting in the chair next to his bed and him leaning up against the wall opposite of her. She seems happy while looking at him. He has his arms crossed and is sporting a very straight face. They must've had a great time before I got here. He looks at me and smirks. She sees his smirk and looks back and her face drops into a snarl. "What are you doing here?" I push the door all the way open and walk in. "As I told you before Clare this is my patient. I have to do a couple things and I'll be on my way." She smirks at him while he looks at me in confusion.

I start moving around the room doing everything I need to do. Taking his temperature, asking him about any pain he may be in, taking his blood pressure and so on. I finish up quickly and start towards the door before I'm being called. "Miss Quinn" I turn around and face him but not before throwing a glance to Clare. Don't worry Clare, I'm just as confused as you are. "Yes augg-" I stop myself. He looks even more confused. "-August?" He looks at me for a couple seconds before opening his mouth. At that same moment Clare opens her mouth. "How come you haven't said a word to me? She walks in and 10 minutes later you're talking to her? What the hell?" I flinch back from her choice of language. He notices and begins to speak. "Miss Clare, I think it's time for you to leave." She looks shocked. Then she looks mad. She stomped over to me and bumps her shoulder into mine before walking out the door. She tries to slam it but I put my hand in the door before the noise could echo throughout the floor. I resist the urge to cry out in pain and instead choose to scrunch up my face.

He slowly walks over to me and takes my small hand in his large ones. "Why did you do that?" I looked up at him but he wouldn't look at me. "I didn't want it to be too loud" I can feel the heat rushing to my cheeks and I pull my hand away. "I can have someone look at it but I don't think it's broken. Maybe a hairline fracture but it's definitely not a break" He nods at me but still won't look at my face. I look down at my hand and see it's already starting to bruise. Maybe it is a break. It doesn't hurt like a break though. It just feels like I smashed my hand in a door. "Thank you miss Quinn but don't ever hurt yourself for me again," He pauses and finally looks at my face. "And for further notice. I'm okay with the nickname."

This is the most he's ever spoken to me. I smiled at him. "Bye auggie. I'll come by before I leave tonight."