Close

We get to the restaurant and auggie gets out first. When we first pulled up I tried to get out but he yelled at me and told me no. So here I am waiting for him to let me out. When he opens my door I see his hand and grab it while rolling my eyes. I can't help but wonder if this whole act has anything to do with the scary woman staring us down at the door. We were early but she was earlier. I make this all easier on him and simply attach myself to his side and smile. I feel him relax into me and smile at him before looking forward again. Then I hear him whisper in my ear. "By the way, I like your chain" I smile and blush. I didn't even think he could see it. My eyes go wide and my body stiffens.

If he can see it so can she. I quickly try and pull my dress down but I'm being stopped by a hard squeeze on my hand. "Stop. You look fine." I still try my best to hide my thigh as we get closer and closer to her.
-
We've only been in the restaurant for about 25 minutes but I can tell auggie is just as uncomfortable as I am. He keeps trying to talk to her but she continues to shut him down with quick responses. I almost sigh in relief as I see our food coming over. No one wants to have a conversation while we eat. Everyone will be too distracted with their delicious food.

Or so I thought.

As soon as my fork comes near my mouth his mother starts speaking. "Ms. Quinn. What do you do?" I couldn't tell if she was asking about what I do in general or what I do specifically for her son so I simply said, "I'm a nurse" I'm not a full nurse yet but she doesn't need to know that. "Were you always a nurse?" I smile and shake my head.

"No-" Before I could even finish the small two letter word I was being interrupted. "What did you do before this?" I struggle to keep the smile on my face. "I was," I pause. Will she approve of this? Will this just make things worse? Before I can think too much about my answer I see her face. She looks pleased with herself. Like she just found out what was wrong with me. I haven't even said my answer yet. Might as well just spit it out though. Not like this can get any worse. "I was a ballerina" The hand that was previously running up and down my thigh stops and I can feel both of them staring holes into my head. I look up at auggie first. He looks shocked and confused. I give him a look that says we will talk later and then I look up at his mother. She looks surprised but it quickly changes back to her straight face.

"Why did you quit?"

Ah. The question on everyone's mind when I tell them of my former career. The question that brings back so many memories. The question that makes me want to strap on my shoes and twirl in front of the world again. I continue to reminisce when I remember that she asked me a question. I come back to reality and sigh. "I never quit. I still dance in my free time. After some years I realized that I needed a new career path. One that would make my mom and dad proud"

Dad always loved my dancing. He said I could move mountains the way I shook the crowds. Mom, however, never really approved of my dancing. She said although it was good it would never go any further than being swan queen once.

Jokes on her. I swan queen multiple times.

As I think about my mom I realize that she still doesn't approve of my career. What do I have to do to make her proud? Drop out of college? Live half and half with my mom and boyfriend? Have a baby with said boyfriend? I stop myself when I feel a hand on my hand. I look down and see that my hand is in a fist. I quickly flatten my hand out and intertwine our fingers. This time he gives me a look that says we'll talk at home and I nod.

The rest of dinner goes by smoothly and we all say our goodbyes. When we get in the car I sigh and slump down into my seat. "She hates me"

"She liked you" We speak at the same time so I almost didn't hear him say it but my neck snaps over to him. "What?" He repeats himself and I laugh. I quickly stop when I see his face. "This is a really big deal and you're laughing?" I sigh and lean over to him.

"I know it's a big deal but I'm tired and I just don't see how she liked me. She was looking at me like she wanted to literally run me over with my own car" He chuckles at that. I quickly kiss his shoulder and lean back into my seat before realizing what I did. Maybe if I don't acknowledge it, he won't either. He starts the car and pulls out. I let out a sigh of relief.
-
When we get in the house I immediately head for the shower. I feel grimy and gross. After getting all the glitter and makeup off my face and washing my hair I pull my towel around my body and walk to my dresser. Since I know that August won't care and I'm too lazy to find real clothes I grab a velvet green and lace bra and underwear set.

I hear his shower turning off so I just walk straight into his room

I hear his shower turning off so I just walk straight into his room. It's best if neither of us pretend that he's going to go to sleep if I'm not there with him. He sees me and smiles. "I like it" I give him a lazy smile and lean forward but I guess I leaned too far forward because I feel myself keep falling. Before I can hit the floor he catches me. "I think you're a little more tired than you're letting on" I giggle and climb up his body. He laughs and drops me onto the bed.

I crawl to the top and pull his all black covers down while he closes the black out curtains. Then he walks over to his dresser and turns on the blue lava lamp I forced him to get. I knew it would look good against all the black in here. He gets into bed and pulls me into his body before rubbing a hand over the side of the bra. "I like the way this feels" I realize how close he is to my boob but at the moment I'm too tired to say anything.