Before the hurricane

A knock interrupted me from my work and James voice was heard from behind the door. Telling him to come in, I focused back on the materials in my hand.

From my peripheral vision, I witnessing James sitting next to me with his legs crossed. Not minding him being here, I twisted the made up cable around one end of the battery. ''What is that?'' he asked, curious.

In the past couple days, I wanted to start working on my way back home. It was hard at first due to Anna being around, but since she left this morning, I'm able to get started.

Tomorrow is veronica's wedding and I wanted to distract myself from ever thinking about it. Thanks to Ana for being here; she kept me distracted from it.

Ana kept saying funny stories and jokes to James, making him laugh which is a rarity at the moment. She helped keep his mind of the tragedy while I was doing the house work that James would usually do every evening.

I don't know what's going on in Veronica's head right now. I don't know what's going on in my head at that time.

I don't understand why I just blow up like that. It wasn't like she was being mean to me or anything in the days we were together. She was busy with the wedding, that's why I couldn't see her much. She was stressed and that's why she was angry sometimes. I got too emotional because I realized that Veronica is getting married. She'll belong to someone now and I have no idea what are we...Or what were we.

There's no telling of the future. Perhaps it's for the best. I'll go back soon and it's better to not start anything before it's too late. Before our feeling get stronger.

"It's a battery." I told James who was still confused by answer. "Something that doesn't exist in your time." I added and he nodded his in understatement. Although, I know he still didn't get it.

"From where did you bring it?" James asked and I pointed at the device on the floor. The device had two extra batteries inside just in case something wrong happens. Like right now.

"So, what does it do?" He asked another question and I smiled at him. I knew he was trying to distract himself and I don't mind at all.

"This battery gives power. Just a little amount though, not much. And these are cables," I pointed at the cables that I've made myself.

"Made from copper." I said and hesitated for what I'm about to say next. "And I also may have used most of the gold I have." I grimaced as he looked at me in shock.

"I didn't know those things are expensive and rare here!" I added quickly which he shook his head in disbelieve.

I sighed heavily, knowing that what I did was stupid but it was necessary. It's not like I did it for something stupid. "Anyways I'm trying to make a cycle between the battery, the device and me through these cables. I have to electrocute myself to make this sufficient." He titled his head at the word electrocute.

"Shock myself." I explained which he didn't understand. I sighed but I didn't bother with it. He'll understand when he sees it.

"So, that means you are leaving soon?" He asked with hesitation and I nodded my head. I refused to look at his eyes, knowing his puppy eyes will make me feel guilty.

It hurt when someone comes in your life and then walks away as if you didn't mean anything to them. I'm sure he's feeling this way somehow.

"Just like that?" He added and I couldn't help but breath in and out. I looked up to smile at him sadly. His eyes were red, tired from all the crying he did. To leave him now wouldn't be right.

"I'm staying a little than I'll go." I assured him but all he did was shake his head slightly. He didn't want me to go but he must know that I have no choice.